 Off-Topic / Debate / 17691
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:09:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

My question is can you REALLY tell from the video (which I haven't seen
- maybe it is more damning)? What are the true circumstances. All I know
is that videos can look an awful lot more sinister than first
appearances show. I believe our standards of evidence have in the past
required more than just video evidence. And what value is the
confession?

  If I broke into your home and stole your stereo, but you had no other
evidence than your in-home video surveillance system, wouldn't you at least
want me to be questioned?

I say that there is a serious chance of misinterpretation here, and
without any other evidence, an arrest is extremely disturbing. If you
show me damage consistent with a history of abuse (if she was really
punching the child, and this was anything other than a one-time loss of
cool which did no permanent damage [remember, the child has been
examined and shows no permanent damage], then a complete examination of
the child should turn something up).

  Okay, what if I broke into your house, stole your stereo, and was caught
on video, but I later broke into your house again and returned your stereo.
Was a crime still committed?  Sure!  I broke into your house!  The crime of
theft is in excess of the breaking-and-entering, but the b&e is still a
crime unto itself.  Just so in this case--the assault is a crime even if
there is no lasting physical damage to the child.

I just find this incident very disturbing as it seems to be another case
of jumping to conclusions with limited evidence. No matter what comes
out of it, this woman's life is permanently trashed, and even if she if
found completely innocent, has probably lost her children.

  Quite a while ago you posed this question:

There is somewhat of a due process problem here, but do you have a problem
with the police locking up a suspected murderer until the trial? There does
have to be a capability to respond immediately to problems.

in http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=5025

Would you still hold this opinion, or has your stance (quite understandably,
given the span of time) changed in the interim?  Your hypothetical question
of two years ago seems very relevant to the current issue.

To be honest, I was hoping someone would post more information. Right
now, what I see is a gross overreaction. Give me more evidence.

  What kind of evidence would be sufficient?  If, while you're asleep, I
blindfold you and thump you with a sack of oranges, and there's no evidence
other than your in-home video surveillance, would that video be enough
evidence for you?

     Dave!