 Off-Topic / Debate / 17764
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:11:13 GMT

I'm not all that introverted--I like going to parties and such, but by the
end of an evening, I'm tired, and not pumped up on adrenaline like my
significant other.  She goes on talking all the drive home about who said
what, and who dressed in this, and "Oh weren't those two such a cute
couple!!  We should double with them sometime..." and all I wanna do is find
a nice, comfortable bed to crawl into and sleep until noon the next day.

But that's just me. :)

  Ah, but then you've fallen into the trap already!  The whole point of
these Myers-Briggs (or Voigt-Kampf, if you prefer) tests is that they're
designed to yield apparently "correct" personality assessments, no matter
how the answers come out.  However, since the questions are subjective and
since you determine for yourself how "correct" the evaluation is, there's no
objective validity at all.  People tend to accept even very vague and
non-specific characterizations if they seem generally accurate, and people
also tend to ignore or disregard characterizations that are perceived as
less accurate.
  The really scandalous thing is that this test is apparently administered
by a number of schools as a means of assessing a person's aptitude and
career outlook!  Those same schools would do just as well to employ a bunch
of palm-readers and entrail-diviners!
  The only thing the test can really tell you is what you want to hear.
Well, it might also be a reminder to approach these pseudoscientific
evaluations with a healthy dose of skepticism and a grain of salt!

   Dave!