 Off-Topic / Debate / 17706
Re: red light cameras CAUSE accidents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:33:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

<snip>

The real problem though is that rather than teaching people common sense
(stop if you can safely stop, be prepared for the guy in front of you to
stop when the light turns yellow, don't enter an intersection if you
don't have confirmation that all traffic is responding to the light), we
are turning to reactive technology.

Frank

Now there it is.  Frank, run for office and I'm voting for you.

We seem to be reacting to things instead of being proactive!  Make sure
people learn how to drive properly!  Maybe we should look into license
retesting and renewal, not just for old people, but for everyone who wants
to drive.  Someone once said that driving is a privilege, not a
right--People these days drive like they own the highways--zigzagging in and
out of traffic, using off and on-ramps as passing lanes... I mean, it's a
zoo sometimes out there on our highways.

I don't know how else to be proactive where driving's concerned...

People only listen when it's their pocketbook on the line, though--If you
hit 'em where it hurts, they'll listen--Insurance companies charge the 16-25
year old boys an exhorborant amount of money for insurance on their
cars--why?  Stats say more accidents.  I was paying 1600/ year when I was
21.  Now I'm paying 400ish.  I remember my friend (who is, imho, a *very*
bad driver) was paying 5000+ dollars a year to drive--there's ouch for you.

Anyway, that's a tangent--Reactively--the thing is if your vehicle breaks
the law, whether speeding, running reds, illegal u turns, whatever, and we
start charging 'em for that, they may learn not to do so 'cause they'll pay
if they continue breaking the law.

If red light cameras go up and the folks running them change the timing of
the lights, thus *causing* more accidents, then the whiff of a class-action
lawsuit shouldn't be that far behind--anyone who may have been damaged due
to the negligence of said company should sign up.  It's not the red light
cameras that were causing the accidents, it was the greedy S.O.B.'s changing
the timing of the lights that were causing the accidents.

Anyway, this is a healthy discussion and I'm liking it.

Dave K.