 Off-Topic / Debate / 17710
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:46:20 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I'm not sure why I continue debating here.

After a brief thought, and remembering from a class I took yesterday on
the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator, I was just thinking of something that
might be useful to add here about my debating style. As an ENFP, my way
of working through problems is to voice them out, so just because I have
said something, doesn't mean that that's my final reasoned answer. Of
course this is what I wish .debate could be, and opportunity to work
through issues by sharing thoughts and creating a dialog which helps me
reach a decision. It can happen, but I have seen less and less of it,
and more attacking of individuals.

  Well, you're just a silly goofball for thinking that in ridiculous way.

  What's an ENFP?

  I believe a lot of that "thinking out loud" goes on here, but many times
it's clarified as such. I know that I sometimes forget to disclaim, and I
wind up having to explain the in-progress nature of my thoughts after the
fact.  It's a pain, but in this forum (and pretty much every Usenet-style
forum I've seen), it's the nature of the beast.
  Maybe a good way to handle it is three-pronged:  Realize, for yourself,
that you're simply playing with ideas rather than cementing your opinions;
recognize that people's attacks on your view are therefore *not* attacks on
your fundamental view but rather on the presented opinions; and even if it
seems like the attacks are personal, don't take them that way, since the
ideas coming at you may themselves merely be "thinking out loud."
  Of course, when I call you a lunkheaded spelunker, I may or may not be
serious, you zany cave-fetishist!

     Dave!