 Off-Topic / Debate / 17784
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

I think it would be bad to chose a career based on a personality test.
On the other hand, it may be useful to know that most people who pursue
the career you are interested have a different personality type. Almost
all careers can benefit from people of varying personality types (you
need innovators, people who can meet schedules, etc.).

But that's the whole problem--the so-called "personality types" are as
subjective as astrological assessments or phrenological readings.  And so
are the criteria that make up each "type."

I think they key to anything like this is to use it as a tool, and like
any tool, constantly examine yourself to see if you are using the tool
appropriately. And that goes for all tools, even pretty objective ones
like hammers.

Trouble is, you can usually discern when you're using a hammer correctly,
but it's hard to tell if you're using a subjective and arbitrarily-founded
test correctly...

    Dave!

It may be a good start to discuss what people think the differences between

Introvert and Extrovert
Intuitive and Sensing
Feeling and Thinking
Perceiving and Judging

Though, looking at it now, it probably isn't because even these global ideas
are subjective, why these 8 and not others?

Though if I were to analyse me, INFP does fit.

Oh well...

Dave K