 Off-Topic / Debate / 17718
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

  What's an ENFP?

http://www.recruit-china.com/Career/MBTI/ENFP

You can find hundreds of descriptions on the web. This was the first
which had an extensive description.

  Thank you for the link; I'd never even heard of "ENFP" before, so it was
all news to me.  But at a quick run-through, the test seems problematic.
Consider these questions:

Q: You want a job or a career that offers you the
    chance to travel and see new places. You current
    job does not offer you either of these things.
        ___Agree   ____Disagree

I don't want a job that offers the chance to travel or see new places, so I
disagree.  But my current job does offer both of these, so I agree.  Which
is right?

Similarly:

Q: Your current skill base is not used fully. You
     know that if you could change industries you
     could develop a fast track career in that industry
     very quickly.
        ___Agree   ____Disagree

Well, I'm sure my skill base isn't used fully, so I agree.  But I don't
think I could develop a fast-track career in another industry, so I
disagree.  Which is right?

Both of those questions are beyond the reach of binary yes/no answer, except
in very narrow circumstances.  If I "agree," how does the test know which
part I'm agreeing with?

And how about these:

Q: You want to work with better technologies that
     you are working with now.
        ___Agree   ____Disagree

Personally, I'd rather work with an abacus by firelight.  To heck with my
desktop PC!

Q: You were passed over for promotion in the last few years.
        ___Agree   ____Disagree

Geez, who among us can't agree with that

or

Q: You have discussed changing your job or your career
     with your family and they are in agreement with this option.
        ___Agree   ____Disagree

Well, I've discussed it with my family, and they bitterly rebuke my
decision, so I guess I disagree.  Or maybe I don't want to change my job and
my family agrees with this option, so I guess I disagree again.  Or maybe
I've decided not to change my job, but my family doesn't support my choice,
so I guess I still disagree.

How can simplistic yes/no answers be taken as a representation of any true
spectrum of answers?  Is this test used for anything in the real world?  It
seems to have no greater certitude than my daily horoscope.  In what kind of
situations is this test administered, and for what purpose?

My sense is that the perceived usefulness of the test is based on
"subjective validation," as described here:  http://skepdic.com/forer.html

     Dave!