 Off-Topic / Debate / 17719
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:01:45 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Frank Filz wrote:

I'm not sure why I continue debating here.

After a brief thought, and remembering from a class I took yesterday on
the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator, I was just thinking of something that
might be useful to add here about my debating style. As an ENFP, my way
of working through problems is to voice them out, so just because I have
said something, doesn't mean that that's my final reasoned answer. Of
course this is what I wish .debate could be, and opportunity to work
through issues by sharing thoughts and creating a dialog which helps me
reach a decision. It can happen, but I have seen less and less of it,
and more attacking of individuals.

Did you feel like I was attacking you?  I was kind of perplexed at your
response to my response, but to see this actually worries me.  I thought
that we _were_ working through an issue by sharing our thoughts in a dialog.
Maybe we have root-level misunderstandings that are getting in the way of
productive dialog.

I in no way meant to be berating you or otherwise hostile.  Was it the crazy
thing?  I was kidding around.  But I do have a stance and I expressed it.
Do you discount my analogy to shark attack as an example of highly
noteworthy tiny statistics?

I did feel attacked. I know I am quick to react when I feel attacked
(one definite correlation with ENFP), and have probably overreacted
here.

I'm not sure that we have root-level misunderstandings, but more that we
have percieved different things from the evidence presented. I don't
take in all the details, rather tend to look at patterns, but I do
appreciate the details. I don't rush to judgment. What I saw when I
first read the article was a rush to judgment. I'm feeling better about
the situation as I see more detail. I agree with your point about
noteworthy tiny statistics, but I still feel like there is a pattern of
increasing reaction to abuse cases. On the one hand this is good, on the
other hand, we must not just be quicker to react, but we must also be
more careful in our reaction. This is the problem I see, that we are
less careful in our reaction. I absolutely must continue to remember
that both parties in any situation are people. We need to do what is
necessary to assure safety without dehumanizing the people involved (and
in the case of child abuse, I think we risk dehumanizing the children
also when we rush to put them into foster care, the first question
should be is there someone in their family who can provide the safety).

Frank