 Off-Topic / Debate / 17697
Re: red light cameras CAUSE accidents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:54:22 GMT

Hm, interesting. I have seen reports of fewer accidents, but I wonder
how well you can trust them. The incentives sure are wrong, and
certainly present a true risk of incorrect reaction (cutting short the
yellow light time).

Another interesting thing on yellow light time is that I have seen many
intersections where there is a clear tendency of people to push the
yellow to have a longer time period where the lights are red in both
directions (remember, what really matters is the interval between one
light turning yellow, and the other light turning green).

I'd also wonder if the red light cameras cause distraction at all.
Probably not a significant distraction (so long as they don't fire a
massive strobe flash at night so they can get their picture).

Some other problems I see with them are situations where someone
proceeds with reasonable caution. I have been stuck at night at lights
which seemed to not turn. How long should you wait on an abandoned road
for the light to notice you? What about when you're right behind a big
truck and can't see the light until the truck has cleared the
intersection. Should you come to a stop until you can see the light?
That seems pretty disruptive to traffic (of course well structured
intersections have several lights which reduce the situations where you
can't see the light).

The real problem though is that rather than teaching people common sense
(stop if you can safely stop, be prepared for the guy in front of you to
stop when the light turns yellow, don't enter an intersection if you
don't have confirmation that all traffic is responding to the light), we
are turning to reactive technology.

Frank