 Off-Topic / Debate / 17699
Re: red light cameras CAUSE accidents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:55:06 GMT

Now here's a situation in Ontario (and prob'ly elsewhere)--red light
cameras--the camera takes a pic of a car if it drives thru a red light.  A
ticket then gets mailed to the owner of the car.  The owner rants and raves
about his rights being violated, especially if he or she wasn't driving said
vehicle at the time.  As well, people say that these cameras invade their
privacy.

I like to think that these cameras would make driving safer--less folks
driving thru red lights can only be a good thing, but if it is an
infringement of privacy, then I don't know...

Don't get me started on these cameras... they're bad. It's not the rights
violation claim (which is false, unless you report the car stolen because it
actually was stolen, you're responsible for what people do with your
property), it's the fact that these cameras actually seem to cause more
accidents than they prevent. (remember, the idea was to cut down on
intersection accidents by making sure people stopped rather than running red
lights and getting tboned)

We have a similar issue with speed camera's in the UK:

"The effect of the camera on driver behaviour can create new problems such
as erratic braking and acceleration and distract drivers from the traffic flow."

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2212479.stm

<zapped>

In some jurisdictions the yellow has been cut to 3 seconds!!! Think about that.

Which is just the stopping time for an HGV moving at 30 mph, or a car moving
at 40 mph (inc 0.7s reaction time)... which is a little tight.  However, in
both cases (UK & USA) the problem is not the camera, but the way they are
used and the way we drive (IMHO). Perhaps, in the future our cars will fine
us automatically when we break the law...

Using the cameras alone is a waste of time; they have to be used as part of
a wider strategy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2010787.stm

Scott A