 Off-Topic / Debate / 17747
Re: red light cameras CAUSE accidents
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:09:28 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Don't get me started on these cameras... they're bad. It's not the rights
violation claim (which is false, unless you report the car stolen because it
actually was stolen, you're responsible for what people do with your
property)

I have a SEVERE issue with this statement.  If someone borrows your car (with your
blessing) and commits a crime with it, how could you possibly say it is the car
owner's fault?  Unless the owner is sitting next to the driver when the crime was
committed, and knowingly did not stop the driver, I find it ludicrous that you can
blame the owner for something committed by another person.

I say unless the redlight camera can catch the driver's face in enough detail to
prove it was the owner of the car, these tickets have no business being issued.
Rights of the accused to confront their accusers and all...

Well, you get what you measure for. So guess what... these companies have
started shortening the length of the yellow so that more cars run the red.
The idea behind yellow is that there should be a period sufficient for the
driver to see the yellow and bring his car to a safe stop short of the
intersection before the light goes red. But if you cut the yellow length
enough, there is no way to stop safely because you're almost in the
intersection when you see it go yellow.

Well, somewhat in defense of the cities, etc (well, actually NOT, read on...),
yellows are being shortened all over the place anyways, regardless of redlight
cameras.

There is a light near my apt that I have to go through every day on the way to
work.  Unless you are already moving at a good clip when you hit the intersection,
you can enter the left turn on the green, have it turn yellow after you are fully
past the white line on the turn, and have it turn red before you clear the
intersection.

This is not traffic safety.

Oh, and the yellow on that turn is SHORTEST during the heaviest traffic times.
They're just asking for accidents there (amazingly enough, though, they don't seem
to get many - maybe the train tracks make everyone paranoid enough to actually
watch for other cars).

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/