 Off-Topic / Debate / 17696
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:38:02 GMT

I'm not sure why I continue debating here. It's hard to see all the
sides of a person when the debate draws out like this. My initial
reaction to this incident was based on a number of incidents in a very
short time. In all likelihood I am overreacting, but remember, when we
fail to question the legal process on a regular basis we risk the
questions not being asked when the person is in fact innocent.

I don't know what to think.

I do know that what I have read is that hundreds were detained after
9-11. Sure, many of them ARE guilty of minor documentation problems, but
is that reason to suddenly change the rules? Is that reason to lock them
up secretly and deny them lawyers? Is that reason to lock them up
secretly and deny them access to their countries diplomats?

This year seems to have presented a large number of incidents of child
abduction. Probably one thing which is happening is there is more
reporting. I think we are all on edge since 9-11. In one way, the extra
vigilance is good.

As far as the video, it does sound pretty damning. I don't subscribe to
CNN and don't watch TV much at all, so I haven't seen it. I saw nothing
however in the article I read to indicate the level. The article didn't
mention the baby's head bouncing. I think it is right to not rely
totally on video. By it's graphic nature, it can raise very strong
emotions, and it can be easy to overlook less sinister causes for what
is being seen. I'm glad more information is coming out.

As for my own fears of working with children, obviously they are not
crippling me. I wouldn't have just started working with a new group of
children in my new church if I was so afraid. It just scares me that the
way we react to child abuse accusations can so quickly destroy someone's
life. On one level, I can understand the Florida teaching hospital's
reluctance to continue with those students, what would we say if they
later turned out to be terrorists? We would rip that hospital to shreds
for taking them on. I see the same potential if someone is falsely
accused of child abuse. Would any place which provides for children be
willing to take on someone who has a mark on their record?

Maybe it's not really such a problem, I don't know. I just don't know.

Frank