 Off-Topic / Debate / 17732
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:22:53 GMT

Very well said. Thanks for providing some background.

One point I'd like to add to the punishment/end of punishment (or
replace "punishment" with "containment" or whatever if it feels more
comfortable):

I am comfortable with "punishments" which disallow certain types of
future activity while otherwise allowing the individual to be free. So
if a reasonable determination (by well documented, constitutional
processes) is made that person X is forever a danger to children, we
might permanently ban them from any contact with children. But this
banning should be part of the criminal trial, NOT some law cooked up
after the fact which permanently labels everyone who fits in some
category of accusation or conviction. PLUS it should always be open to
judicial review given reasonable new evidence.

However, I am also comfortable with certain records being retained which
may be used if someone repeats a crime, but that should probably only be
convictions, and we should be careful how those databases are used (I
don't agree with the sex offender registration laws, but I think that
information should be available if a background check justifies it).
Again though, this all has to happen through proper constitutional
processes.

Frank