 Off-Topic / Debate / 17700
Re: Why start with Iraq? - (Re: Iraq, Dictators, and Peace)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:08:58 GMT

Why fund human rights abuses in Israel?

Perception.

Fact.

Of course the perception is fact. "Perception" as in there is the perception
that Israel is the victim.  You misconstrued my answer.

Why back “democracy” in Kuwait?

Now you are just being contradictory.  Make up your mind whether you are
going to criticize the United States for for opposing democracy or
supporting it.

Does Kuwait really have democracy?

Who cares?  I was merely pointing out that you were being inconsistent.  Or
you weren't making your real point very well.  :-)

Why make a
sponsor of international terror a key ally in the “war on terror”(TM)?

Terrorists that don't oppose us are not terrorists, to us.  It's continuing
the policy of Bush, Sr. to work with the devil you know (such as he did
with, oh dear, Sadddam).

This is utter hypocrisy.

Didn't I just say that?

Why
back & fund the warlords in Afghanistan?

Because the alternative was worse?

Worse for Afghans or the USA?

Are you advocating a Chamberlainesque approach and do nothing after
thousands died and letting thousands more?  And I take it you weren't a
woman living in Afghanistan under the Taliban....

Why start with Iraq?

Are you insinuating that there is a better target?

There may well be. Why not tighten the screws on Musharraf, the Saudi’s or
Sharron? These guys rely on support from the USA - particularly Sharron.
Human rights in the Middle-East would improve overnight if the USA stopped
equipping the IDF. A positive outcome would be reached without directly
risking US servicemen. Personally, I find that “easier” than killing 1000's
of Iraqi civilians to get one man... just to replace him with a pro-West
stooge. Remember, 1000’s were killed in Afghanistan to get two men – and
neither was found.

Ohhhhhhhh, I see, Iraq has done nothing!

What Bush Jr is doing is nothing to do with "liberating a people living
under a dictatorship" and everything to do with American self-interest.

You act surprised, as if nations routinely do things not in their self-interest.

Declaring war on a nation 1000's of miles away?

If you are a Texas oil man, sure.

Bruce