 Off-Topic / Debate / 17866
Re: world mandate (Re: Why start with Iraq? - (Re: Iraq, Dictators, and Peace))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:34:28 GMT

Afghan civilians were
sacrificed to protect ground troops. The unwillingness to put troops in • danger
meant (probably) that OBL and MO were able to escape.

Afghan civilians were "sacrificed"?  What in the world are you babbling • about?

High altitude bombing was used instead lower altitude bombing or ground • troops.
This saved the lives of servicemen, but was not as accurate. Afghan civilians
were sacrificed to protect ground troops and pilots. OK?

I wanted to insert a comment.  I'm agreeing with Bruce by and large in this
thread (because he doesn't _at all_ seem to be defending the US' naughtiness)
but on this one point, I knew exactly what Scott meant, and I agree with him.
We did choose a course of action that was protective of our military apparatus
with added risk to civilians on the ground.

I suppose it is obvious to everyone except Scott, but I'm not defending U.S.
actions to any particular degree, I'm just objecting to Scott's axe-grinding
and one-sided presentations.  And I'm a liberal!  I hate Bush.  I don't like
Israel's actions.  I don't agree with a unilateral attack of Iraq.  Bush is
feeding the world a line of bull.  War isn't the answer to everything.

Scott is losing what should be a prime demographic.  :-)

As to bombing from high altitude, that has never been particularly accurate.
To use it is almost always a compromise.  I just object to Scott's depiction
of it.

But I think that in doing so, we made the right choice, which seems to be
opposite of Scott's stance.  War is hell.

Absolutely.  And the Brits beat Sherman to that by half a millenia with
their chavauchees.  :-)

Bruce