 Off-Topic / Debate / 17883
Re: world mandate (Re: Why start with Iraq? - (Re: Iraq, Dictators, and Peace))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:23:56 GMT

I suppose it is obvious to everyone except Scott, but I'm not defending U.S.
actions to any particular degree,

...but you (& Chris) do share Bush's unilateral outlook to some
degree, that is what I don't agree with.

What do you mean?

I think you might mean that I am more concerned with the fate of Americans at
war than others.  If that's right, then I guess I do agree.  Not so much on a
philosophical level as on a gut reaction level.

One random stranger is equally valuable to me as another, regardless of their
national origin -- all things being equal.  But all things aren't.  I tend to
guess that a random US citizen is more valuable to me (based on the likelihood
that that person can entertain me) than is a random foreigner.

But you might also mean that I think we should be cowboying around the middle
east without building a coalition.  If that's what you mean, then I don't think
so.

And I almost wholeheartedly agree with you about the role of US in the
middle-east peace process.

Chris