 Off-Topic / Debate / 17658
Re: Iraq, Dictators, and Peace
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 04:53:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Dubbya has the right action in mind but the wrong reason.  (We don't even need
that stupid oil, there are plenty of alternatives but God forbid we should
screw up the Oil Industry.) Either way I am baffled to no end at how anyone can
think liberating a people living under a dictatorship is a bad idea.

-Mike Petrucelli

Sure it's a great idea, but are we really going to make life better for
them?  Are we going to replace the entire government and force industry to
establish a suitable minimum wage?  Are we going to force the new government
to spread the wealth garnered through oil trade?  Are we going to share
technology to help a third-world nation make a leap?

I guess my question is:  are we actually trying to liberate a people, or are
we just busting heads because if feels good?  So far I haven't heard
ANYTHING about going in and freeing ANYBODY...