 Off-Topic / Debate / 17921
Re: world mandate (Re: Why start with Iraq? - (Re: Iraq, Dictators, and Peace))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:06:50 GMT

Iraq is not a destabilising force. SH is far too concerned with his own
self-preservation.

Iraq is not a destabilizing force?  I take it you feel his track record is
something that should be sealed by the court and not considered.

...for how much of his track record did he have the support of the ‘West’?

Notice how you never answer questions?

I think I did. My point is that SH's track record can't be looked at in
isolation.... he is of our making. He is trying to develop WoMD - that's bad.
But what gives Bush, the president of a country with a colourful WoMD track
record, a right to bomb Iraq to stop him?

You harangue me for not “comparing” the USA to others and using only
international law as a benchmark… then you go and do the same with Iraq!

But wait, its not really your view. Your just trolling that opinion to rile me…

That you just shift to a new attack?

No, you only understand yes/no answers.

Iraq is not a destabilizing force?

See below.

Just say yes or no for once, and *then*
append your explanations instead of this constant dodging.

Did
we act when he started gassing his own people?

Actually, yes, but not as completely as we would have preferred to do.

Was Bush Sr not willing to let
his invasion of Q8 go with only mild rumblings until Thatcher convinced him
otherwise?

So why are you complaining about the U.S.?  This is all Britain's fault!
(I swear this is like shooting fish in a barrel)

I don’t agree. You are being obtuse.

Thatcher convinced Bush Sr (in Aspen?) not to wait for what was known as “the
Arab solution”. She argued (successfully) that he should say that any Arab
solution should include a complete withdrawal of Iraqi forces from Q8. She also
convinced him to back an economic Embargo on Iraq.

So now, perhaps you can tell me what is “all Britain's fault”?

Can it not be argued that his track record is partly shared with the ‘West’?

Yes, it can be argued, but it doesn't change that he is a destablizing
force, which you are trying to skirt.

SH is destabilizing force in the sense that every country is, but dealing with
him when Israel is doing as it wishes is plain stupid and hyocritical... that
is why there is so little support for the USA in the region. That is why OBL
had so much support pre-911. Iraq's day-to-day antics are an order of magnitude
lesser than Israel's when it comes to being a "destabilizing force"… that much
is clear.

Despite that, Iraq gets bombed and Israel gets free guns… lovely.

Scott A