 Off-Topic / Debate / 17669
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:57:21 GMT

you are implying is that you would follow laws that demand unjust or immoral
action from you...simply because you believe in the notion of democracy.

I fear you are misrepresenting my views. I can't think of any law that I
view as "immoral", but I can list a few that I view as being "unjust" to me.
However, I share this island with a lot of other people, and I am polite
enough to respect their views. If I feel a law is "unjust" to more than just
me, I might right a letter to my elected representative or take part in a
protest.

With great respect, I view your outlook on this as being a little selfish.
If we all thought a little more about our fellow man, and a little less
about ourselves, perhaps this world would be a tiny little bit better…

I'm not going to look back through all the notes you've written in response
a note that I've written to find it, but I'm pretty sure that you responded
that you would seek to change the law from within "the system" rather than
breaking it, if a law were immoral or unjust.

I'm not sure what "unjust to me" or "unjust to more than just me" even
means.  My notion of justice (though I do admit that what is often meant by
this word is messed up) simply relies on the same treatment to all and for
that treatment to not violate my understanding of basic human rights.

What part of what I've written do you view as selfish?  I factor what's best
for "our fellow man" quite a bit when deciding what to get behind
philosophically.  And I think that what is best for my fellow is disregard
for laws that are bad.

Chris