 Off-Topic / Debate / 17670
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:28:40 GMT

First, it's your *elected* gov't.

Except for having our chief executive having been appointed by the Supreme
Court.  IOW, while every executive before has been elected (whether fairly
or not) this one has actually _not_ been properly elected.  With a minority
(and no plurality) of the popular vote and not even a clear win from the
electoral college (which is a dumb institution in modern times anyway), this
president was not elected.

Stop bitching about your 'unelected' gov't and
make sure these types of crises do not happen again.

Who, Larry?  What's _he_  going to do to fix Florida's (or the nation's)
election problems?  If it's so darned easy, why don't you come south and do
it for us?

And I think you should think about what the original thread was--which was
this--the concept of the 2nd ammendment, to me, does not mean little Timmy,
age 5 and little Melissa, age 4, have the rights to own a gun.

Nit-picky points: a) that's not the original thread's topic, b) no one here
has suggested what you are claiming (at least in this thread), c) no one
here (except possibly me) would _ever_ have claimed that.

So maybe Larry's not the one who should be doing the extra thinking.

It may well be time for another revolution. I'd prefer to keep trying
though. It's easier and I can say I'm doing my part without nearly as much >mess.

Bingo.  Thanks for making my point, Larry.  It is easier, less mess *and* it
will work--the power is in the hands of the voters.

He never said it will work.  And it won't.  That's foolish.  The power (as
it has been since the invention of wealth) is in the hands of the wealthy.

You know The Golden Rule?  "He who has the gold makes the rules."  And the
wealthy like things the way they are.  The movement in policy that we see is
toward making the wealthy have even more power, and us less.

I was talking about the *concepts* of the democratic process and how it
*should* work.  For the country that points to itself as the shining example
of democracy, I would think that each an every citizen in the United States
would extoll the virtues of the democratic process.  If something doesn't
work, the people can *vote* to change it.

Do you really not get it?

OK, let me ask you one thing...How?

If I think (and I do!) that our representitives should be selected from the
state as a whole instead of from districts within the states, and that the n
many candidates with the highest votes should be awarded the available seats
in the legislature (and this system can be scaled up or down for any
representitive body), then how can *vote* this system in?  Come on Dave,
you've indicated over and over that it's just this simple, so I want you to
explain to me what course of action I need to take.  I keep going on down to
my polling place (every single chance I get) to vote, but I never seem to
have this option.  So what gives?  It _seems_ like I don't actually have the
ability to simply *vote* to change this aspect of my government, but if you
say I do, then I must be missing something.  What is it?

If your view and/or opinion isn't
getting heard, you haven't convinced enuf people that it's the right one
yet--the power of change is in your fellow person's hands come election time.

Oh, so I have to convince everyone else?  That's simply beyond my means.
(And yours, I'd assume.)  So the reality is that I can't actually just
*vote* for the changes I'd like, right?  Gosh, now I'm really confused.

The system ain't perfect, but it does work, and it can change.

Work at what?  It works at restricting social mobility enough so that the
ruling elite can mostly stay where they are while allowing enough of a shot
at upward mobility so that the people don't rise up in revolt.  The reason
the the US of A has and will continue to endure is that it is the first
nation wrought on Earth that so successfully duped the masses into thinking
they had a fair shake.  Notice how we've been coppied...need a mirror?

Chris