 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1892
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:43:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Quibbling about what particular charters say or don't say when the owners
intent is clear strikes me as not particularly useful. (but then, I tend to
resort to appeal to what the authors of a document intended (c.f. you will
often see me cite the Federalist Papers as a view to what the Constitution
framers intended) rather than split hairs about what the precise wording of
a document is)

  Might be useful to ease back on the spin, there.  "Quibbling" suggests
pointless bickering about minutiae, but I think my question about the charter
was legitimate and perfectly in keeping with honest exchange of information.  I
could have been a jerk about it and posted all my MOCs with appropriate FUTs,
and, when challenged, I could have hidden behind the letter of the charter.
  And while we're at it, an author's intent is irrelevant to the work.  If an
exegesis is not *in* the primary work, then it's separate from and subordinate
to the work.  The author can try to convey his intention in a separate work, but
that doesn't change what's actually conveyed in the primary work.

     Dave!