 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1861
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:40:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Terry Prosper wrote:
If you want to change this website's orientation and ask that it should be
called Bugnet instead, go ahead, maybe you will succeed and this whole clone
issue will be irrelevant.  But as of now, it's not.

It doesn't matter what the site is called -- what is it's purpose? To
celebrate bricks or brand loyalty?

Stop avoiding the issue. Stop assuming you have some kind of superiority in
claiming what the site is about. What the site itself claims it is about may
not be what it is about in practice.

"Lego," or "legos," is a slippery term -- a lot of us mean it in the generic,
like when we say "xerox" to mean a photocopy or "kleenex" to mean a tissue.
I don't care about TLC's branding schemes.  I say "legos" all the time. I bet
a lot of people come here with far less obsession over brand loyalty than
some of you suppose. They come here because it's about building with plastic
bricks, the ones most people call "legos." That's why I came here.

It is convenient to your argument that the seeming majority is with you.  It
doesn't make it the correct decision or opinion.

-- Hop-Frog

Let me rephrase that:

I think that this website is about LEGO.
I don't care for other brands.  I've owned them, I din't like them.  They are
cheap, plastic is not as shiney, solid, colorful.  Now, that is MY opinion.
Let it be.  I'm entitled to my opinion.  It's never been about facts or
anything.  I've stated again and again that i was only saying what I though, not
what was a fact.
I'm not avoiding anything.  I like this website to be about LEGO.  I really,
really respect and like this Company.  It's made some errors, but unlike other
companies, I believe they are really trying to help children develop, they are
really making efforts in the society with their different implications in
charity organizations.  Their history is rich in great accomplishments.  So yes,
I like this company, I like this brand and I'm loyal to them.  They have
replaced parts for me without asking questions every time I called them.  They
have a fantastic service.  They have great products, great quality, great
philosophy.  Clone brands don't.  MegaBlocks is all about profit, not about
child development.  Tyco, I can't say, nor for other companies, i'll admit.
Now, if you want to debate over what I said about LEGO, do it alone.  It's my
opinion, I'll change it if I see or learn about something that makes me believe
otherwise, but this :
http://www.lego.com/eng/info/press/morepress.asp?RegionalSiteId=11&id=804
is exactly the ind of thing I respect about LEGO.
Call me stupid.
I don't wear 300$ shoes written Nike on them because they are made in Asia by
children paid 1$ per week.  I don't wear clothes from some companies for the
same ehtical reasons.  I don't like Microsoft because they have a monopoly and
they don't care about their consumers having major problems with their products
full of security breach and bugs.  I don't watch American/Canadian/Junior Idol
and I don't listen to commercial music.  Want to bash my values?  Go ahead, I
don't care what you think.
Terry