 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1864
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:29:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   I think it’s very easy for those of you insisting on brand exclusionary practices to see yourselves as inoffensive, but you’re not.

The very act of telling someone like Dave! to stay in his little corner of lugnet and not come out or be seen by others is wildly offensive -- far more offensive than the word “idiots” said a thousand different ways to thousands of different people.

Private Propery, dude. You can not like how it’s run, and you can complain all you like, but if you don’t like it, leave it.

   To me this site is largely about MOCs and building, and that only very peripherally has anything to do with brand loyalty. Maybe I failed to understand the purpose of this site -- is it just one long advert for TLC products? I mean, I understand that many of us favor TLC bricks -- but is the emphasis here on TLC or bricks?

You’d be wrong.

from http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=2314 :

I think anything about other non-LEGO® systems would really need a hierarchy name that clearly suggests “hear ye, hear ye, this is a hierarchy for all types of construction toys -except- anything produced by the Lego Group.”

But that’s all getting pretty far outside LUGNET’s sphere of focus. I’d like to encourage talk of imitation brands or other construction toys about as much as I’d like to encourage flaming debates over politics and religion. Don’t get me wrong -- I think all of that is great stuff; this just isn’t the place to nurture it.

To me, that last sentence sums it up really well. If you want more of the original debate, search the .admin heirarchy for “clone”, and prefer older matches.

Now admittedly that can of worms is about 4-5 years old now, and may want re-opening, I don’t know. But blasting at Terry for saying “that’s not what this site is about” isn’t going to get you anywhere, because, well, he’s right. If you want to complain, go complain to the management who set it up that way.

   But yeah, it’s me -- I’m the one with the problem. Not you guys with your nose in the air...

I don’t really care one way or the other. Clones, not clones, meh. I’ll keep playing with my (Lego) bricks, and I’ll keep looking at the (non-denominational) pretty pictures.

James