 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1888
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 08:00:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Purists are idiots.

heh, the same could be said for those that call people idiots ;)

   I could easily argue that this TLC element: is based on a design of my own: http://www.freewebs.com/raininmysoup/wingattachment.html.

I seriously doubt you can. Maybe it will make you feel better, maybe you can feel like Lego stole your idea - but I disagree 100%. I think its safe to say that part spawned from this part:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4736
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/4736

Its easy to see how the new neck stud came from the jet pack. So before you go and say “TLC has since knocked-off my design with a one stud version of it” (taken directly from your site) you may want to re-think “your” idea and give the proper credit to TLC. They did come out with that part starting in 1985 - was “your idea” before 1985?

   Too much is made of purity,

Maybe in your book, but in no way does that mean everybody thinks that.

   some percentage of clone stuff has always been okay.

Again, maybe in your book, but please do not try to pass off your thoughts as law. Many peole do not agree with you, so to say that it “has always been ok” is incorrect..

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com