 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1882
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:04:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   I don’t think this is a really valid argument in this discussion, because the same people would probably object to clone brands displayed at Brickfest, Brickswest, etc, and probably dislike clone brands on Brickshelf, all of which have “Brick” in the name rather than “LEGO”.

Legally they can’t call them “LEGOfest”, “LEGOsWest”, or “LEGOshelf” because they’d be in clear violation of trademark law (and would undoubtedly get called out on it). LUGNET rides the line by using an acronym that involves the word “LEGO”, but does not actually include the word “LEGO”. I’m sure that if TLC allowed it, the various “Brick” organizations would probably have used “LEGO” instead.