 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1881
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:55:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   The very act of telling someone like Dave! to stay in his little corner of lugnet and not come out or be seen by others is wildly offensive -- far more offensive than the word “idiots” said a thousand different ways to thousands of different people.

He’s not being told to stay in his little corner of LUGNET. Everyone here is free to post just about wherever they want, as long as it doesn’t violate any charter guidelines. He is being told that clone MOCs probably aren’t acceptable outside of their little corner of LUGNET, but he’s free to build with LEGO and post it elsewhere. He might even be allowed to announce his clone MOCs to .announce.moc (as I said, I don’t really know), but even if he is he’ll probably still receive flak for it.

Anyways, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, so one person being offended by many is usually less of a concern than one person offending many.

   Strangely, I was just noticing the “clickits” forum had been added to lugnet, a less builder friendly product is probably rarely seen around these parts -- but hey, it’s official lego excrement, so that makes it okay! What’s the difference who makes this silly product when it barely qualifies as brick compatible?

You may not be aware of this, but the Clikits elements were designed to be just as compatible with LEGO System as Technic is. I know the flowers in particular have drawn interest as they allow for a wider variety of foliage in outdoor scenery construction.

   I am not denigrating the product per se, I am critiquing it’s open acceptance as a canonical TLC product (which is de facto) when it’s utility seems very much in question.

One could also see it from the viewpoint that the Clikits group was added to keep Clikits discussion restricted to that one little corner of LUGNET, which is not terribly different from the root of this discussion.

   To me this site is largely about MOCs and building, and that only very peripherally has anything to do with brand loyalty. Maybe I failed to understand the purpose of this site -- is it just one long advert for TLC products? I mean, I understand that many of us favor TLC bricks -- but is the emphasis here on TLC or bricks?

It’s about both. Much of the discussion revolves around new official sets (and sometimes even old official sets), not just MOCs. Technically, the primariy focus of this website is more about LEGO Users and their LEGO experiences than anything else. Official sets and MOCs just happen to fall within the realm of LEGO experiences.