 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1840
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 01:06:16 GMT

Purists are idiots.

I can’t think of another situation in which someone would have this kind of insane brand loyalty when working with a particular medium.

“Get that Grumbacher oil paint out of my studio, it’s Winsor & Newton or nothing for me!!!” When quality is that much of an issue for someone, niether brand will do -- one would have to mix and grind paint down from oil bases and dry pigments with a mortar and pestle. Yes, I know what I am talking about...

Is there a quality difference between TLC manufactured bricks and clone made bricks? Often the answer would have to be a resounding “Yes.” If the clone bricks in question were Tyco bricks the answer would be “No.” And if the clone bricks were Mega Bloks the answer would be “It depends.” And it would depend on the age of the set, the product line from which the bricks originate, and the actual design of the bricks in question -- some items made by MB are vastly superior to their TLC counterparts, if they even have a TLC analogous element in the first place. I couldn’t build a lot of my stuff with TLC only elements -- it’s frankly too limiting.

But if Terry’s attitude is correct for 99% of lugnet members then my Castle Blacktron might as well not be documented online at all I suppose. A lot of it is custom, and a lot of the rest often includes at least some clone elements. With that said, I’d also assert that Castle Blacktron stuff is 99% TLC elements.

When I see a MOC that includes a clone element I often note a gap in the marketplace where TLC itself has left a competitor an “in.” I otherwise don’t care at all. If TLC made all the good stuff that’s out there, we wouldn’t be having this little discussion, but they don’t. A lot of good stuff is made by others -- the clone brands.

Because a recent racial issue has reared it’s ugly head in off-topic.debate, I can’t help but feel there’s an analogy in there somewhere...aren’t TLC purists actually a kind of xenophobic brand loyalist?

If I blindfolded you and gave you a TLC brick in one hand, and a Tyco brick in the other, I’d then defy you to tell the difference from quality alone. The blindfold would be necessary only because of branding marks on the bricks themselves and not because of some sort of visual defect. While not perfectly identical to TLC bricks, many clones bricks are at least as good as TLC bricks -- certainly as regards their actual use, what one actually does with them. If the quality of the elements alone is your basis for comparison, I’d have to assert that Tyco quality is actually better. The clutch strength is slightly tighter and the bricks are strangely resistant to normal wear -- over time they show very little play wear or abrasions.

Bah!

Dave!’s stuff is very heavy on the clones bricks -- that’s his whole thing. In fairness to the way this site is organized, I don’t have a problem with Dave! posting his clone MOCs only in off-topic.clone-brands. Those of us that care to see them will see them there. Ultimately, it must be admitted that a place has been made for Dave!’s unique contributions. But then, his stuff tends to be 100% clone bricks. And 100% clone MOCs DO have a home.

But this 100% purity or nothing crap is madness. Utterly.

I don’t mind the odd clone element here or there at all, and I can’t see why anyone else would either. People have been carving, painting, and redesigning elements slightly for a long time. TLC even benefits from this, I feel sure.

I could easily argue that this TLC element: is based on a design of my own: http://www.freewebs.com/raininmysoup/wingattachment.html.

Too much is made of purity, some percentage of clone stuff has always been okay. 100% clone or custom stuff should probably go to off-topic.

-- Hop-Frog