 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1869
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:12:02 GMT

What I find interesting about that old thread is the importance of basic brick compatibility to most of the users. Given that criteria, why is there a newsgroup for Clickits -- I mean, except for the fact that TLC manufactures it?

Maybe the subject of interest here is not as tightly focused as some may have wanted despite efforts to control it?

Bottom line: there’s no real sense to any of this unless TLC holds the purse-strings and all of Lugnet is no more than thinly veiled advertising for TLC. I can see where TLC would automatically get a lot of user attention, but why does it automatically get a pass for a generally non-compatible product line? The now defunct Znap line also comes to mind. TLC’s own penchant to break from 100% brick compatible products makes a clone discussion “prohibition” untenable in my view.

How about when Bram L. made those steel bricks available? No one balked. People post custom items FOR SALE in the main newsgroups and no one has said a thing except for perhaps myself -- because I’d like to see some semblance of equal treatment.

I see favoritism here. That’s not right.

However much the powers that be may want to control the topics of discussion in these forums, clones are very much on topic and not off-topic. 100% compatible clones are certainly more on topic than Znap or Clickits.

-- Hop-Frog