 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1873
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:04:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Terry Prosper wrote:

   I’m only saying that this site is called LEGO-USER GROUP network. Not Bricks user group network. Dave can go post his LEGO MOC like anyother in the announce.MOC forums, but this site is dedicated to LEGO, not clones.

   If you want to change this website’s orientation and ask that it should be called Bugnet instead, go ahead, maybe you will succeed and this whole clone issue will be irrelevant. But as of now, it’s not

I don’t think this is a really valid argument in this discussion, because the same people would probably object to clone brands displayed at Brickfest, Brickswest, etc, and probably dislike clone brands on Brickshelf, all of which have “Brick” in the name rather than “LEGO”.

On the original question, I would think that if you posted in announce.MOC with a warning that it contains clone parts and made the follow up to off-topic.clone-brands, it should be okay. That way people could easily ignore them if they want to, but they aren’t totally relegated to a black hole.

I can’t say that I recall anyone at any time every complaining about anything because it was 100% non-Lego on the Pirates board, much less some small percentage. For that matter, no complaints come to mind on the Castle board. Is this just a tempest in a teapot,

Yes, IMHO. Dave asked ‘anyone mind if I post clone MOC’s to announce.moc, Terry said ‘I do’ and Richard said ‘that’s wrong’ to Terry. They proceeded to spar, with occaisonal comments from the peanut gallery, like me.

Lugnet is mildly biased towards brand purity; this is one of Richard’s pet peeves, and so he is agitating for change. More power to him; I can’t summon up the energy to care enough about the issue to take a side.

James