 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1854
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:52:16 GMT

I take exception to the idea that I am merely baiting people in this discussion. I think that such an assertion is false even if you are looking at only my first posting on the subject. That I raised the issue of “brick brand xenophobia,” even from the start, places my viewpoint on the side of the angels, Lar. My opinion, of course.

The statement “Purists are idiots.” is quite different from the statement “Lego purists insisting on 100% lego purity from others are idiots.” Both statements are clearly provocative and I’ll grant that I could have qualified the original statement a little better and that maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to call others idiots, but so what? I find insistence on Lego purity just as offensive as those opposing any discussion of clone brands within the greater part of lugnet. My two poorly worded and offensive sentences are but single sentences in a larger argument.

Perhaps I am overeaching in terms of the appeal to “pathos” in my argument? A matter of speculation I suppose...

You claim I am being divisive, but the community is already divided along this issue. Really?! What more can I do than call a small amount of attention to that fact by the means available to me?

Relegating an obviously important topic to a singular newsgroup is more divisive than anything I can say or do, isn’t it? Anyway, I am just making some points within a larger argument. If you want to stop reading at the first sentence, go ahead.

I have never voiced a different opinion on this matter, from the first I have been opposed to the single brand focus of this website. But, it’s not my site. I am allowed to have my own opinions however.

-- Hop-Frog