 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1860
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:17:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Terry Prosper wrote:
   If you want to change this website’s orientation and ask that it should be called Bugnet instead, go ahead, maybe you will succeed and this whole clone issue will be irrelevant. But as of now, it’s not.

It doesn’t matter what the site is called -- what is it’s purpose? To celebrate bricks or brand loyalty?

Stop avoiding the issue. Stop assuming you have some kind of superiority in claiming what the site is about. What the site itself claims it is about may not be what it is about in practice.

“Lego,” or “legos,” is a slippery term -- a lot of us mean it in the generic, like when we say “xerox” to mean a photocopy or “kleenex” to mean a tissue. I don’t care about TLC’s branding schemes. I say “legos” all the time. I bet a lot of people come here with far less obsession over brand loyalty than some of you suppose. They come here because it’s about building with plastic bricks, the ones most people call “legos.” That’s why I came here.

It is convenient to your argument that the seeming majority is with you. It doesn’t make it the correct decision or opinion.

-- Hop-Frog