 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1857
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 15:42:48 GMT

I think it’s very easy for those of you insisting on brand exclusionary practices to see yourselves as inoffensive, but you’re not.

The very act of telling someone like Dave! to stay in his little corner of lugnet and not come out or be seen by others is wildly offensive -- far more offensive than the word “idiots” said a thousand different ways to thousands of different people.

How could you fail to see this simple fact?

Strangely, I was just noticing the “clickits” forum had been added to lugnet, a less builder friendly product is probably rarely seen around these parts -- but hey, it’s official lego excrement, so that makes it okay! I get to Mark P.‘s site/review where he proudly proclaims “This ain’t no MegaBlocks site!” (see: http://www.landofbricks.com/home.html) What’s the difference who makes this silly product when it barely qualifies as brick compatible? I am not denigrating the product per se, I am critiquing it’s open acceptance as a canonical TLC product (which is de facto) when it’s utility seems very much in question. By contrast, products of far greater utility and compatibility go by many of you unnoticed because they are not made by TLC.

To me this site is largely about MOCs and building, and that only very peripherally has anything to do with brand loyalty. Maybe I failed to understand the purpose of this site -- is it just one long advert for TLC products? I mean, I understand that many of us favor TLC bricks -- but is the emphasis here on TLC or bricks?

But yeah, it’s me -- I’m the one with the problem. Not you guys with your nose in the air...

-- Hop-Frog