 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1890
Re: A serious clone question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:46:41 GMT

Here are my last thoughts on this subject...

In general, I think I’ve made my points and I don’t actually think that anyone has intelligently refuted any of those points. There is a kind of exclusionary, nose in the air, attitude about clones that is just plain silly given some of TLC’s official products. It’s as simple as that. If we can tolerate Clickits or Zznap then how does anyone get off telling someone else that they can’t post a MOC announcement that includes elements of a 100% compatible clone product? Frankly, who cares?

Certainly no one here has the right to dictate to another how or where that person might post MOC information. Yes, the admins and founders have made their intentions clear. Yes, there is a newsgroup hierarchy but people often feel perfectly free to do whatever they want anyway -- is Bram’s L. steel brick not a clone? It sure isn’t Lego! If you tell me that Bram’s brick is a tribute to Legos then the whole of Ritvik’s business model is a massive tribute to TLC also.

The previous and routine inclusion of custom and clone items in numerous newsgroups forestalls any real objection that could be mounted to future inclusion of custom or clone items to any newsgroup AGAIN. I understand that Lugnet was designed as a site largely dedicated to a particular brand. In the main that “supposed” purpose is secondary to the posting of MOCs. MOCs are the true lifeblood of this site. If the admins want to chime in and voice a contrary opinion to my own I suppose they are free to do so. It doesn’t really matter though, people will do whatever they want anyway, just as they always have.

I was slightly annoyed when Terry, a person I actually have nothing against, took what I saw as derogatory posture towards clone products and it’s possible use by others. Do I actually think he is an idiot? No, in fact that unfortunate aspect of initial post in this thread was largely deflated when Rosco called me on it and we had some fun with it after that. Big deal. Terry will get over it, just as I will get over his atttitude about clones. The friendship between the Quebecian and the annoying American is restored. Move along, there’s nothing to see here...

That others disparage clones so pointedly is a bit worrying though. Parsons mentioned economic factors as part of his reasons for selecting clone products, he also mentioned being excluded in his participation of these forums because of those choices. Ridiculous. How do any of you look at yourselves in the mirror when you knowingly and rudely reject someone because of their choice of brick manufacturer? I ask seriously, because really -- why do you care? In reality it borders on class prejudice, looking down your nose at someone that admits his budget doesn’t allow for certain things even though he’d like to participate anyway.

Parsons said it best:

I’d stick with lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, and let the more open minded come here for a look around from time to time.

I look forward to the day when we can muster a Mega Blocks community resource along the lines of what Lugnet provides. Not the reams of data about old sets and who likes what, but the noticeboardy type stuff. We can do much of this here, but I think we’d enjoy it more if we weren’t reminded that we are at the periphery of a larger community, much of which would be happier if we didn’t exist at all to pollute their narrower experience of life...

Do yourselves favor and read his words again. Simple words from a very decent fellow. Ignore the more fiery and intemperate Hop-Frog if you must, but do listen to Parsons.

And if you can accept the inclusion of things like the CardShark (see: http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=11131 and http://mindstorms.lego.com/eng/inventions/invention.asp?id={9A14CD69-5FA5-B96A-92ED-C3F34E8C05B0}&slotN=3) in the main newsgroups and even highlight them, why can’t y’all just let guys like Dave! and the still balding Parsons post wherever they like? Didn’t y’all notice that the official Mindstorms page notes that the CardShark “Contains non-LEGO parts”?

I mean, is TLC itself going to be more tolerant of “non-Lego” elements on it’s own company pages than Lugnet itself is going to be -- or what?!

Just how wrongly chauvinistic are some of you going to be about this whole purity thing, esp. in regards to what others are doing?

-- Hop-Frog