 Castle / 15772
Re: Brainstorming ideas for Game Project....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:43:06 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
Similar, but not an emulation. I decided
why not integrate both storytelling and
a quest over view into one? It should be
appealing even to non players, even though
its purpose is greater than that.

I do like this idea, the reports I mean.

Okay, I've never played D&D, so my
opinion about the 'originality factor'
wouldn't be as seasoned as an
afficionado. But where do you suggest
I'm taking the idea? (using lego figures
as miniatures? (so assuming this is the
idea, you can also say brickwars and
heroclix, star wars figures games, etc
are stealing from D&D?)
Or simply the reporting
idea?) This faction version is meant to
be played online, while DraKen is a
simple war game. (in which a GM is ONLY
employed if a character suggests so.)

I'm not saying that anything is being stolen, only suggesting that we try to
be original with our ideas.  Not that we haven't been somewhat.  Yes, other
RPGs use similar ideas too, not just D&D.  But D&D is known for using a set
of stats similar to those being discussed, as well as being a game that
includes a fair amount of "hack and slash" combat, also similar to what has
been discussed.  I just think this game could have so much more potential if
newcomers weren't turned off by saying, "Isn't this just D&D with minifigs?"

Okay, how could it not be more connected
to the brick hobby? It uses lego
figures, lego bricks for background,
lego creatures as enemies, pieces as
weapons, how much more *can* it get
connected to the brick hobby? Heck,
even building structures involves *gasp*
lego pieces...

I think with the MM and possible settlement construction that there is a lot
of potential for using the brick in this game.  Again, my point was to serve
as a reminder not to lose that focus.  Not that anyone was losing that
focus, but it is good to put the idea out there in so many words so
newcomers get the idea that this is a game for fans of the brick.

Mofified? How? Both qualities have been
coalasced, but I'm still calling it AP.
(for the sake of not going backwards to
edit every page on my site.) As you
suggested earlier, keep it simple, so
I'm not going to bother with magic
defense at all. Regardless of the attack,
it's going to affect Ap. And no, I've
decided not to go along with magic
points either. (tracking numbers might
be hopelessly reduncant, which is why the
only value you really need to know is
the character's current Ap.)

It's okay my friend.  I didn't mean to offend.  I was just following along
with the subject line of this thread.  I was under the impression that we
were all brainstorming ideas that could then be discussed and debated for a
potential future as-of-yet undefined Lego Castle related RPG online.  I
didn't realize that you already have ideas like AP set in stone on several
pages on your site.  It really is semantics I guess, so AP is fine with me,
if we (we meaning the communal group developing the game) agree to it.

...Or am I misundertanding the reason for this thread?

-Hendo