 Castle / 15703
Re: Brainstorming ideas for Game Project....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:52:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Alex Polimeni writes:

Hello all!
Sorry for not responding sooner...i was away
all day at an eyedocters trying to get a piece
of wood bark out of my eye. ugh. >:p

Well, nice to hear you have your
priorities first :)

Thanks for beggining some brainstorming.
I like Matts idea for combat with the different partys.

Thanks. Nice to know it's appreciated.

Yes, you can add any characters from anything you
want. However, they might get killed. I would also
like to include some element stats in the game too.

My DraKen game actually supports elements,
but chosen abilities as of now only affect
the casting ability of a spell. Incorporating
elements into characters for other purposes
might prove useful when it comes to abilities
as well. (like forging a broken weapon at
a campfire; fire, planting seeds and harvesting
crops; earth, etc. Dependingon the element
of a character, that would determine their
best suited aptitude for using abilities.)

Such as, if you get cought in a blizzard,
you might get frostbite depending on how
well your protected you are.

Although I took statue problems into
account as well, I can see where you're
going. Equipment style should be
variable, but wearing too heavy equipment
would also induce stress on a character.
(damage or movement penalties would ensue.)

As for campaigns, each person in a party
for a campaign would put in an idea for the
campaign. (this would not be neccesary,
though) the Gamemaster would then deside
which one is best and then take over from
there, drawing maps, (need any maps? im
a great mapmaker for imaginary lands!)

Here was a small map drawn for my story.
(assuming every few millimeters is a grid,
I might make a magnified version of it
soon to scope in on areas. Each area of the
map has a unique topographical feature,
although it's not very visible. Since the
inlands of Faiye are laced with ravines and
valleys, advancing through it would prove
difficult. Between Faiye and Allercus lies
swampland and thick forests, and from then
on, several lakes and mountain ranges.

Do you have any maps on hand that you
could display? I'd like to see them...

writing down what each place would hold, etc.
Then, as each thing arises on the maps etc,
the players would be given a choice of what
to do, and they could all deside on what they
want to do. But, combat would not be just
between different groups. if a campaign led into
a dungeon or something, there might be some
dungeon dwelling humans etc.

Yes, variability is a great aspect of a game,
and I don't think movement should be
restricted. Since there are going to be
forests, swamps, mountain ranges, ancient
ruins, etc scattered all throughout the
map, the results should prove interesting.

Monster parties are good too, but should
they be scattered on a random basis, or
simply generated by the player at will
for campaign report content?

Some rules should be worked up on how combat
could take place between a campaign and an
enemy. (NOTE: the enemys of the partys or party
would be controlled by the gamemaster, and would
move according to what the gamemaster thinks.)

I would suggest placing several 'nests' about
the field that would generate monsters, then
move enemy parties from them. (the gamemaster
would move several parties as a time, and when
a party is defeated, a new one is generated at
an adjacent grid to the nest.)

Also, if different partys met, they should
be able to deside if they wanted to: