 Castle / 15751
Re: Brainstorming ideas for Game Project....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:55:31 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Matt Hein writes:
In lugnet.castle, Alex Polimeni writes:
once encountered, partys/monsters would
get a choice of if they wanted to fight
or not. if a party comes across a band
of evil demons, they will fight until the
death.

Typical battle scenerio...good. About
wild monsters though, there should be
two types; aggressive and non-aggressive.
Non aggressive monsters usually don't
attack unless provoked. (like elk or
moose.), as opposed to aggressive
creatures like Dragons or wolves.

Trying to catch up on this thread, but running out of time to post right
now.  Gonna go quick...

Another suggestion:  How about a third type of monster: Diplomatic.  Thus,
Non-Aggressive would be like elk, Aggressive would be like wolves, but
Diplomatic would be monsters with enough intelligence to allow communication
and a chance for diplomacy before deciding whether they are aggressive (I
think this is the type that would include Dragons as well as other
intelligent creatures).

Maybe certain magics or skills might be useful in communicating with certain
Diplomatic types.  A dragonrider might need to know the language of Draconic
for example.

Or they can document their actions in a
'report', then submit it to the game master,
and wait for his judgement. (to tell who
was killed based on their actions, and
the surviving forces.)

The report idea is a good one, similar to the action emails in Starship.
The difficulty will be in how many players are sending reports and how often
they are sending them.  A single Game Master could get swamped.  (This is
why the norm in SS is to expect at least a week before a mediator responds.)

Eh, interesting...I would account hit points
into the armor point factor, though. Depending
on the armor worn, you may be given X
Armor Points. Damage is dependent on the weapon,
but expect to take a lot of damage if you're
impaled by a lance or sword, or hit by
artillery. (Which attributes to realism.)
Medics can do healing on the field, as
well as the occasional Acolyte. When
AP reaches zero, the character is either
dead, or on his final reserve. (which
means one hit equates to death.)

Tough to decide which is better, normal D&D-style hit points, or the system
you mention here.  If you want to attract more players, I would go with the
system that is easiest to learn.  KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), is a common
phrase GMs mention when designing new game systems.  The simpler the better.

I would almost steer clear of the hit point idea, simply because it makes
the whole game sound like D&D with Lego figures.  I run a D&D campaign on
twice a month and do use Lego, but the game you are creating is not D&D and
you should promote the parts of it that A) make it more original, and B)
make it more connected to the brick hobby.

If I had to vote right now, I would go with a modified version of the Armor
Point system mentioned above.  Yes, AP and HP should be one thing.  Call it
DC (damage capacity).  A character's DC might be based on their Strength
attribute.  And then it can be further modified in-game by armor or magic.
But modified or not, if the DC drops to zero, the character dies.  Other
creatures, items, and even structures could be assigned DCs also.  That is
my simplified suggestion.

Oh, and yes, Temples, acolytes, etc. should provide healing to wounded
characters.  They might also sell potions, and maybe offer other magical
services (though nothing too powerful, that should be reserved for the elite
NPCs).

Just offering my thoughts so far...
-Hendo