 CAD / *35925 (-100)
  Re: Radiosity example (F1 Ferrari) once again

(...) Always looking to improve my lugnetcolors.inc file, can you post the rubber material and reflection settings? -Orion (20 years ago, 27-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Radiosity example (F1 Ferrari) once again

Hi! After playing with POV-Ray, radiosity, reflection and focal blur for some time, I came to results that are quite close to what I want. (URL) uses LGEO parts, LUGNET colors, custom reflection settings, custom rubber texture (for the tyres). Ah (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: My Big Phat RP Parts

<snip> (...) Way cool! Thanks for sharing. On the topic of scale. What I've determined is the following: the LDU to mm conversion is an exact conversion However: A 1x1 brick is only 7.8mm x 7.8mm and the studs are located 8.0mm for one another (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.parts.custom, FTX)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) I am an adjunct instructor for Portland State University. I contract with a pre-college PSU affiliate called Saturday Academy www.saturdayacademy.pdx.edu> I teach programming and robotics courses to kids from 4th to 12th grade (that's 10 - 18 (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) That's exactly what I was trying to accomplish ... a way to reference the primitives folder in MLCAD. I suspect that it is as simple as changing the MLCAD ini to include the P folder and perhaps another sub-parts folder. I tried stickng the (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

(...) I found these: (URL) nice! I think they match the scale of the station. Who is StarFreak359, the author of these models? Please contact me. Jaco (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Lights on the wall

(...) I'm no expert in this field, but in POV, the surfaces is higly reflective, so if the angle of the light is too flat, no light will reach the camera at all (it'll just be reflected up and down between floor and celing. My guess is that the (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Ahh, this looks like the perfect time to again point out how nice it could be if mlcad supported plugins. Hint, hint... Have fun, Don (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) A good reason could be that the resulting references to primitives would be to the wrong libary, but there must be another way to display the content of folders like /p, /p/48, and /s in MLCad's availible parts tree/parts preview, so you can (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad, FTX)

  Lights on the wall

Hi all, I'm in the process of creating a render of a little scene. There are two walls that I want to put downlights on. I've created spotlights at each point, but for some reason they are not showing up. The walls and floor are created as submodels (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Perhaps it might be useful (maybe in a new thread) for folks to enumerate what they think some of those features are? Might give some of the authors ideas... (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Excellent references! Thanks for pointing me to Paul Easter's site. Thinking that I may have previously missed it, I went back to search for Prim-Gen at the LDraw site. I haven't found a reference to it. Too bad, it seems to do a lot of things (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Just wanted to say I agree with what Don wrote, and add my own 2 cents. I use Paul Easter's zerobase.dat and point.dat files a lot when beginning a new part. I like to start by measuring the part, and using notepad or LDAO to record the (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) While it doesn't specifically use MLCad, Paul Easter's utilities pages has some nice screen shots of the part development process. And I'm sure you could use some of the ideas in MLCad. (URL) one shows a bunch of windows in polling mode with (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Faces going inside parts

(...) Well, the ndis primitives will look better if anyone ever makes a transparent version of the part. Have fun, Don (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  LDraw part origin rule

TrackDraw's parts are 2D models of 3D parts as viewed from the top. TrackDraw attempts to maintain LDraw compatibility by using the same origin and orientation. This allows TrackDraw to read and save layouts in *.ldr format. For parts that exist, (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Faces going inside parts

mkennedy reviewed part 969 ((URL) with the comment to use the box4o8a primitive twice. When I checked this part to use this primitive I noticed that the rectangular faces go inside the round cylinders. (Why didn't I notice this when BFCing this (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Hi, I'll echo Orion's question: where do you teach? What level/subject(s) do you teach? I'm interested how and why you've chosen to insert LDraw parts authoring into your curriculum.. Was it difficult to convince your superiors? I teach CAD at (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) That's really cool. You might have mentioned this eariler and I missed it but where do you teach? This particluar presentation has gone through several revisions (I just uploaded the Brickfest DC version a couple of days ago) but I'm always (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) I've read Virtual Lego, LDraw.org tutorials and even used your BrickFestPDX Powerpoint Presentation in class. I've found them very helpful for creating parts line-upon-line. However, I am inherently a very lazy programmer. That's why I want to (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Ok, you're good until here. The best way, in my opinion, to learn parts authoring is to look at other similar parts. (...) Don't do this, it's bad since the work is unnecessary and the primitve library is updated almost every time a new (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Missing Parts in Minifig Generator

(...) 524.dat was in the 2004-02 parts update, so if you install that, you should be fine. Andy (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) Both! Here's what I've done so far. 1. Studied several parts dat files by stepping through the code using LDAO. I particularly concentrated on parts that had features similar to the ones I'd like to make. (My wife wants to model all the large (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Missing Parts in Minifig Generator

(...) The MLCad.ini is maintained by Willy Tschager. Visit his site for the current file: (URL) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Missing Parts in Minifig Generator

Minifig Generator has a Helmet Darth Vader which produces and error because it can't find the part 524.dat How do I remove the description or find the part? I believe there are several Hat / Hairpieces missing as well. (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD

(...) I don't understand your question. Are you asking how to include primitive in your parts or are you asking in general how to author parts in MLCad? -Orion (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Part Authoring with MLCAD

How do I setup MLCAD to create new parts using the primitives and pre-scaled primitives? (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) I think I got the MPD bugs fixed - try again, if you can get a chance? Better yet, compare it to the results from Travis' utility? Thanks! Dan (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) Glad to hear it (mostly) worked. If you download it again, you'll get an updated version, and it should solve the "(null)" problem for comments. The comments will now be output to the "-flat" file. --Travis (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  2004 Q3 All In One Installer

I'm sorry this took longer than usuall but there were some modifications to the installer that took longer than planed. =( In any case the latest LDraw All In One Installer is now avaliable at: (URL) ***...*** NEW ITEMS The addition of the following (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Getting started in Parts Authoring

(...) In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Edwin Pilobello wrote: (...) As much as I dislike being a 'topic cop', I need to state the following: This thread is off-topic for lugnet.cad.dat.parts. The lcdp newsgroup is strictly for the posting of unofficial part (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Cooking recipe for parts: Ingrediens and preparations

(...) Good idea; that would be really nice, but it doesn't seem to be possible? Or does anybody have a suggestion? As it is now, I use the (URL) LDraw Primitives Reference>, which seems pretty well updated. {Note:} There's a lot of new and better (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) This worked great. The resulting part counts correlated with some I'd calculated by hand. The only minor snit I observed was that comment lines show up as "(null)", but those were easy enough to strip out. Thanks, Travis, I really appreciate (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Getting started in Parts Authoring

As suggested by Neils, I'm moving my inquiries on the basics of parts authoring to this forum. In CAD, I asked how to add a new MLCAD folder to store primitives, sized-up primitives and parts-of-other-parts. The reply was simple enough. It did have (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

(...) A greater challenge is to build a minifig scale Deep Space 9!!! LOL! You up for that? (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Creating a new MLCAD folder

(...) use the menu: Settings / Parts Tree / Tree Configuration... but this menu is not meant to list primitives. - damien (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) That assumes that you have primitives made for both the male and female connector, which I very much doubt is always the case. Studs are pretty much always going to be one of two types (solid or hollow, though many of the BIONICLE masks use (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: wannabe parts author needs mentor

(...) Great idea, but I think lugnet.cad.dat.parts would be a better choice for such questions. But I'd suggest that you start with some simple parts while you learn the basics. Personally I started with the duplo piece (URL) x250>. While you're (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, FTX)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) I am a programmer with an interest in implementing something like clickablibity. I think te best way to do it is to assign connecection rules to primitives or combinations of primitives. That way you may be able to derive most possible (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

"Jaco van der Molen" <jmolen@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:I2pnux.1y2v@lugnet.com... (...) (URL) > its buildt of just 5 bricks :) (...) The dish is 2.4cm in diameter. There is no partnumber on it and I'm not sure what set it came in. With a (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Creating a new MLCAD folder

How do I create a new MLCAD folder (like Bricks, Technic, Plates, etc.)? I'd like to create a Primitives folder. For now, I took P.LST, edited each line with "PRIMITIVE " and merged it into PARTS.LST. I then copied the P folder into the PARTS (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

Here's some follow-up. I sent the xpress3d.com quote info to the Rapid Prototyping discussion group I belong to (all RP Educators who take on jobs to help fund their programs). I got these responses so far: ***** I calculate the volume of materials, (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: wannabe parts author needs mentor

(...) I think documenting my learning process "live" on this forum would be a great idea. I'll get myself organized and start posting my "part author" questions. Thanks! (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: wannabe parts author needs mentor

(...) There isn't really a formal system of support but... All the parts authors are willing to help, if you ask. If you prefer not to discuss it here (and I prefer that you do so that other beginners can browse through you questions) then you can (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  wannabe parts author needs mentor

Do we have a mentor program for wannabe parts authors? I've been studying existing parts files, printing out and stepping through "similar" parts and grinding my teeth on the prospect of spending all that time on a deep learning curve, etc. In the (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) I was addressing this issue from the user's point of view. The math of the transformation matrices needed to carry out the user's intent is a detail I do not wish to cover (it's only coding, right?). I am only trying to define a minimum set of (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: How to convert 3ds to dat?

Actually, I am new to this ldraw community. As I know, the most updated unofficial part list is here: (URL) also contains some DAT made from users: (URL) there any other location I can find more DAT? Thanks! "Orion Pobursky" (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) I just whipped up a program real quick (like half hour quick) that flattens a model. You can download it here: (URL) To use it, unzip it, go to a command prompt, and type LDFlatten <filename.ext>, where <filename.ext> is the filename of your (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) This gets me closer to the desired result, but it only lists the parts in each sub-assembly. It does not multiply the parts by the number of times the sub-assembly is referenced, so it still doesn't produce a complete list of parts. I also (...) (20 years ago, 20-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: How to convert 3ds to dat?

(...) A "Here's what part I'm working on" and "I'd like to see this part made" tracker is a hot button issue for me right now. Look for some developments in the coming months. -Orion (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

"Jonathan Wilson" <jonwil@tpgi.com.au> schreef in bericht news:I2otFD.srF@lugnet.com... (...) Good luck :-) I have plans and some ideas for a minifig scale Runabout and did some designing in MLCad. But never finished. Maybe I will pick this up once (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

"Christian Treczoks" <ct@braehler.com> schreef in bericht news:I2oo6H.20nJ@lugnet.com... (...) ... but never the less: a great model! Jaco (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

How sweet! I am not sure what dish that is? Jaco "Øyvind Steinnes" <phoenix@online.no> schreef in bericht news:I2npLv.Lzv@lugnet.com... (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

Great models! I rendered a picture with them docked at the station. Though I think they are too big a scale :-( See Brickshelf: (URL) Allemann" <jason@parlugment.org> schreef in bericht news:I2nnKF.3D9@lugnet.com... (...) of (...) far as (...) (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: How to convert 3ds to dat?

(...) Yes, 3DWin will do what you want. Just remember if you're hoping to get stuff officially included in the library there still might be a lot of work do be done (even after translation). If you're just trying to see something in MLCAD, though, (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: How to convert 3ds to dat?

(...) You can try 3DWin. I think it supports 3DS. The link to it is listed in the Software Downloads database on ldraw.org -Orion (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) Hmmm... There's two problems here. First, I forgot to update the form to show that it DOES support MPDs now. At least, as far as I can test it does work. Can you send me the MPD that it fails on, so I can figure out where the problem lies? (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  How to convert 3ds to dat?

Hi everyone, Is there any method which can convert 3DS format to ldraw DAT format? I find that the ldraw library has only 2 hairs, which is not enough for me to create some minifigures. Therefore, I want to convert some 3DS hair found in the web. (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) Your problem is easily solved: - Make a MPD of your model using MPDWorkshop (Listed in the Software downloads section of LDraw.org) - Open the newly created MPD in in MLCad 3.1 or higher - Go to the Extras menu and choose Reports->Parts - (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

How about this challenge, build a NCC-1701-D MOC scaled to these: (URL) a proper minifig scale Enterprise (any of them) would be the ultimate :) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

(...) Hey, challenge yourself! Build a DS9 in scale to this Startrek ship ;-) (URL) (No, it is not mine) SCNR, Christian (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) I tried this; unfortunately the Peeron interface flat-out says it doesn't handle mpds, and it doesn't. It found a total of four parts in the file. Thanks for the suggestion though! It is a useful utility apart from this problem. Steve (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) Would putting them into a single .mpd file help. There are (URL) programs> that automatically create .mpds from files such as you describe. I'm not sure how peeron counts the parts though. I would hope that it accounts for all ten instances of (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) Thanks for the reply, Dan. The problem I see is that my sub-assemblies are in 12+ separate files (file A uses 10 copies of B, B uses a copy of C and 4 of D, etc.). Re: the web interface you reference, it's not clear to me if/how it can support (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Eolus-Series Business Craft

(...) Bear in mind, a 9999x9999 snapshot will suck up just under 300MB of RAM while it's being created, so unless you have AT LEAST 512MB, I'd keep it lower. I probably could have worked things out so that the image didn't have to all be in memory (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Eolus-Series Business Craft

(...) I have an ATI card as well, it's just a 9000. I play Halo on it though, the poor thing... (...) Wow, resolutions that high just aren't right! :^) I'll have to experiment with that. (...) Thanks for the compliments! (...) Your program is (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Motivating CAD students to model LEGO (was prototyping)

(...) I am amazed that the architecture students would need any motivation to design with legos. Being an architect myself I cannot even fathom the thought! One suggestion would be to ask the students to try and model their previous projects using (...) (20 years ago, 19-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.cad, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.edu, FTX)

  Motivating CAD students to model LEGO (was prototyping)

(...) Well, my Semester starts in two weeks, so if you have any tips I'm all for hearing them! My biggest problem is motivating the Architecture students in my group. The Engineers don't really care what they draw (a widget is a widget is a widget). (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.cad, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.build.microscale, lugnet.edu, FTX)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) To clarify, my system consideres each connection point as a vector with a defined point of origin. The vectors are perpendicular to the stud axis. In this way a brick can rotate about the vector (or stud) and still be aligned just like real (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) Ideally, if the click-system is running, it should still allow you to slide a piece between two other pieces where it has a mating surface with both of them. It should just automatically switch from whatever movement increment you have (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Mac Brick CAD 2.4b1

(...) one 3024 1x1 plate, selected Quit from the File-menu and didn't get a message or warning about whether I'd like to save my file yes or no...? Greetz, Anton (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: Mac Brick CAD 2.4b1

(...) I just downloaded the 2.4b1 version and yes, it loads files much faster, it reacts faster, all in all a great improvement! But I did run into a problem... I opened the M851.mpd and only added one single 3024 1x1 plate from Bricks Palette, only (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: Mac Brick CAD 2.4b1

(...) Andrew, As always, thanks for a new version of MBC with yet even more features! Greetz, Anton (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) I have a 12 year old in my Game Maker class. He is building models and hoping to bring them into Anim8or (or Blender) via POV-Ray. He then hopes to bone the tri-mesh and create animations. Each frame of the animation will then be used to build (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

"Jason Allemann" <jason@parlugment.org> wrote in message news:I2nnKF.3D9@lugnet.com... (...) Space (...) :-( (...) I'm not following the discusions on lugnet.space, and normaly dont build any space related stuff in LEGO, but has always been (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

(...) Actually I've been following your DS9 project with great interest (amazing rendition by the way). When I finished my (URL) Enterprise> one of the projects I was considering was a DS9 to scale with it. I even got as far as prototyping one of (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) Assuming you already know *which* male (M) should connect to which female (F), and that M is to be rotated (this might in fact be the difficult part to figure out!): Use the F <connection direction> as the primary axis for a coordinate system (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Challenge! Build Startrek ships to DS9 scale.

Hi all builders, cadders, datters, mlcadders and spacers, I challenge anyone to make Startrek spaceships to the scale of my Deep Space 9 station! Who's in for it? Jaco P.S. Currently I have some ideas for an Enterprise D, a Runabout and the Defiant. (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.build, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dat.models, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.space)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) You need to have the user pick more than just the "male" and "female" locations. To get the two bricks on top of each other (instead of inside each other), the "male" and "female" locations ought to have some concept for up and down. For parts (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) We discussed this years ago. Maybe there's some ideas there. (URL) solved many such alignment problems in 2D, but never in 3D. It's harder to visualize because of my poor drawing skills. I wonder if you can break it down into two 2D alignment (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Eolus-Series Business Craft

(...) Hey Travis, (...) I'll play around with it some your program some more and try that. BTW, I'm using version 2.1, the one that comes with that all-encompassing LDraw installer. (...) Yes, I had to use the old version of part 464 so that's why (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Complete/recursive parts listings?

(...) If you upload it to "Build this DAT" on Peeron, you should be able to get most of the parts there, if not all: (URL) Dan Boger dan@peeron.com (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Complete/recursive parts listings?

How does one generate a complete list of parts (actual Lego elements) for a model that includes sub-assemblies in other files? MLCad just reports the sub-assemblies as a single "part". My model is complex enough that just pasting together copies of (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) In terms of practical application, that sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed by the interface software, such as MLCad. In terms of what needs to be done for LCD to accomodate that, I'd say that polarity will be required for a (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Mac Brick CAD 2.4b1

This is to inform the Mac users that Mac Brick CAD has been upgraded to version 2.4b1 There are a few new editing commands and some code changes that make the application launch and open new windows much faster. Also clicking on the column header in (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.mac)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) To add my 2 cents worth, I've tried a few experements within MBC for making parts clickable where I defined "male" and "female" connection points within the brick (i.e. STUD = male). Ignoring the sheer number of ways even a brick as simple as (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Fearless leader

(URL) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Eolus-Series Business Craft

(...) Nice image. It looks like you also have Geometry->Seam Width checked (although it's hard to tell for sure). I think that when edge lines are turned on, Seam Width tends to just lead to extra noise in the image. On a side note, the Subdued (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) And hey, now might be just the time to do it. You might win valuable prizes :-O! The L Prize site hasn't yet said what you need to do to win prizes there, but reading between the lines, it at least sounds like LCD-based projects would be high (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Eolus-Series Business Craft

(...) Yeah, the FSAA only works on some video cards. Since he said 6X, we now all know he has an ATI video card ;-). (ATI is the only manufacture I know of that supports 6X FSAA.) You can get a similar effect to 4X FSAA by simply saving your (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: on Collision, stop Movement

(...) A connection database would be great for something like a simulator. I was at BrickFest and someone asked me about this. It might be fun to work on a project like that, and it could be handy to have the features within an editor. Often I make (...) (20 years ago, 18-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Eolus-Series Business Craft

(...) Actually what I did for the interior photos. I can't punch my FSAA up like you can, but I did set the other stuff to what you recommended. <snippage> (...) I'll have to find a way to work them in. (...) <snippage> (...) Yeah, touching, isn't (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  L PRIZE Volunteers Needed

Hi everyone - If you were at BrickFest, you likely heard me introduce the (URL) L PRIZE> at Saturday night's session. I'd like to give you some info on how you can help make this happen. (see [1] for more info on L PRIZE) Approaching SIGGRAPH, (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.org, lugnet.cad, lugnet.events, lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, FTX) !!

  Re: Blender LDraw support

"Ooh, new script." *download* "Hm, fix path, load...will it work?" *jaw drops* DUDE, YOU ARE THE COOLEST PERSON EVER!!! THIS ROCKS!!! *head explodes from all the possibilities* "ewww..." -Stefan- (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Blender LDraw support

(...) Thanks alot for this work. It's very much the combination of tools that I am looking forward to working with. We mentioned LCad/Blender ties quite a bit at Brickfest this weekend. (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Blender LDraw support

I've worked a bit more on my Blender LDraw import script. Recent additions: * Requires Blender 2.34 for some convenient functions. * Creates materials for each LDraw colour used, but does not fill in colours. * ldrawdir is now high in the script and (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

(...) I apologise in advance for the fact that the following will sound like nitpicking... LUGNET is not moderated. It however, does have admins. Admins can do a number of things. However, they cannot move posts. More however-ingly, an admin can (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.parts.custom)

  Re: Blender LDraw support

(...) Neither am I. However, line 318 isn't in childreBobj in the most recent public version of the script. Since that's the only one that works in Blender 2.34 (and it probably has trouble with some types of files anyway, such as if they contain (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...

OK, I went to express3D.com and uploaded these STL files: (URL) The first one, a single 2X4, got the following range of quotes/technology: $75/3DP - 3D Printing = powdered resin hardened with liquid = e.g. ZCorp $90-150/SLA - StereoLithography (...) (20 years ago, 17-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Question: Wedge or Wing?

(...) There are a few exceptions but generally speaking, a wedge is a "clipped" brick and a wing is a "clipped" plate. -Orion (20 years ago, 16-Aug-04, to lugnet.cad)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact