 CAD / 11806
Re: on Collision, stop Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:35:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Allan wrote:
In lugnet.cad, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:

What I was saying is that there's no easy way to do it purely
based on the geometry.

Exterior geometry may be a bit fuzzy when you start rotating it to
different angles, but center geometry is just a matter of straight
lines or mathematical points.  They either match or they don't.
There is no "sorta match".  Any accurate system you could come up
with for matching the exterior geometry together would probably
just be a more complicated version of using center geometry.

To add my 2 cents worth, I've tried a few experements within MBC for
making parts clickable where I defined "male" and "female"
connection points within the brick (i.e. STUD = male). Ignoring the
sheer number of ways even a brick as simple as the ubiquious 2x4 can
be connected the real barrier I ran into was with geometry.

If the bricks are aligned then making them click is reasonably easy,
but if the one of the bricks needs to be rotated (through upto 3
axis) to make them align and click the problem then seems to become
very non-trivial.

If anybody has any ideas to solve geometrical alignment, I'd love to
know so I can continue my experiments.

We discussed this years ago.  Maybe there's some ideas there.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=5419

I've solved many such alignment problems in 2D, but never in 3D.  It's
harder to visualize because of my poor drawing skills.  I wonder if you
can break it down into two 2D alignment problems...

Don