 CAD / 11803
Re: on Collision, stop Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:29:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andrew Allan wrote:
To add my 2 cents worth, I've tried a few experements within MBC for making
parts clickable where I defined "male" and "female" connection points within
the brick (i.e. STUD = male). Ignoring the sheer number of ways even a brick
as simple as the ubiquious 2x4 can be connected the real barrier I ran into
was with geometry.

If the bricks are aligned then making them click is reasonably easy, but if
the one of the bricks needs to be rotated (through upto 3 axis) to make them
align and click the problem then seems to become very non-trivial.

If anybody has any ideas to solve geometrical alignment, I'd love to know so
I can continue my experiments.

In terms of practical application, that sounds like a problem that needs to be
addressed by the interface software, such as MLCad.  In terms of what needs to
be done for LCD to accomodate that, I'd say that polarity will be required for a
number of parts.  Consider that you can still have the stud/socket interface
perfectly lined up on a pair of bricks where one of them is flipped completely
upside-down and hidden inside the first one.  Also, the various bricks with
side-mounted studs would need to be able to reorient any attached parts to match
whichever stud the part ends up linking to, even as you transfer it from one
stud-orientation to the next.  On the other side of things, the stand-alone
TECHNIC ball joint w/ axle hole can rotate into any orientation in a socket
joint as long as there's nothing attached, and any of the standard ball-jointed
limbs has slightly greater range of motion than a stand-alone ball joint with
something wide snugged right up against it.