 CAD / 11812
Re: on Collision, stop Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:35:57 GMT

To add my 2 cents worth, I've tried a few experements within MBC for making
parts clickable where I defined "male" and "female" connection points within the
brick (i.e. STUD = male). Ignoring the sheer number of ways even a brick as
simple as the ubiquious 2x4 can be connected the real barrier I ran into was
with geometry.

If the bricks are aligned then making them click is reasonably easy, but if the
one of the bricks needs to be rotated (through upto 3 axis) to make them align
and click the problem then seems to become very non-trivial.

If anybody has any ideas to solve geometrical alignment, I'd love to know so I
can continue my experiments.

Andrew...

I have a 12 year old in my Game Maker class.  He is building models and hoping
to bring them into Anim8or (or Blender) via POV-Ray.  He then hopes to bone the
tri-mesh and create animations.  Each frame of the animation will then be used
to build an animated gif.  He is planning on 8 different views, 0, 45, 90, 135,
etc.  These sprites then go into Game Maker in a sorta-3D mode.

It's a very long process.  But he is determined to do it because he can't draw.
As far as he is concerned, modelling and rendering allows him to create sprites
in the proper perspective and orientation.

This morning, he discovered that the model he was building was missing a 2x2
plate in the foot.  In dismay, he asked, "Do I have to tear up my model in order
to insert this 2x2 piece?"

Obviously, this point of reference is from his physical experience.  So, with a
smile, I showed him how easy it was to position the missing part without having
to virtually tear it apart.  In this case, having no collision checks made the
insertion easy.

I can see that having clickable parts helps in the build.  I think this feature
should not be a 'rigid physics engine' as much as a 'convenience engine'.  We
ought to be able to turn it off at any time,