 CAD / 11789
Re: on Collision, stop Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:48:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
There's already been a lot of discussion on doing "clickable" building using
an additional connection database, and that's certainly doable.  Do a search
for LCD, or LDraw Connection Database, or see here:

http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=135

Oh, wow, you guys must be gluttons for pain.  There are probably at least a few
hundred different means of connecting various parts together, and many of them
are not the sort of thing that you'd just look at and think, "Yes, these two
parts are intended to connect together like so."  Some of them might be
accidental (the TECHNIC ball joint, for instance, not only connects to any
TECHNIC socket joint, but you can also loosely pinch the round sides between two
TECHNIC pin holes that are spaced one full stud-width apart), and others are
cleverly designed to click together in ways that might never have been used in
official designs (the interior walls of most standard-height bricks, as can be
seen on transparent 1x6 bricks, often have ridges built in that are very clearly
designed to grip the flanged tip of a TECHNIC pin just as the center flange
bumps against the bottom edge; whereas the tubes on a 2x or wider brick are
merely capable of accomodating a TECHNIC pin, but aren't able to grip it very
securely).

What I was saying is that there's no easy way to do it purely based on the
geometry.

Exterior geometry may be a bit fuzzy when you start rotating it to different
angles, but center geometry is just a matter of straight lines or mathematical
points.  They either match or they don't.  There is no "sorta match".  Any
accurate system you could come up with for matching the exterior geometry
together would probably just be a more complicated version of using center
geometry.