 CAD / 11788
Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad

Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 00:07:34 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
A while back someone posted a sort of "wishlist" of parts they would like
to see lego make.

Has anyone (with access to a RP machine) considered making some/all of
these parts? Even if just to see how they would work in the real world...

Yes, I've been very interested in creating CAD and RP models of "fantasy" LEGO
parts (I don't know when this term was coined, but we were using it all over
SIGGRAPH for some reason - definition: parts that LEGO does not produce). If you
read every one of those "wish list" threads, I've asked whether anyone wanted
CAD work done, but no one's ever responded.. My original intent was to use
commercial CAD products to help create DAT files for LDraw, but I found how
easily this idea could expand to RP part creation.

I have a kind of informal list of parts that I could assign my CAD students,
some are real parts that just don't exist in the LDraw library and some are
"fantasy". They also design their own parts. But I need students who want to do
this type of work. I don't force them to do it. Maybe I should start..

I'd also love to RP all of my students' stuff, but at the moment OCC's machine
is down, so I have to rely on the kindness of others to get stuff printed. The
stuff I did with Tom Burger's parts was done for free at an RP Conference I
attended, and if I get any more done it will be because of contacts I made
there. It helps that the parts themselves are very small. If I was doing intake
manifolds or something, chances are I wouldn't get much RP work donated.

Some of the other RP users on this board have access to their own machines. They
would probably be the people to approach to get "wish list" parts made if you
were in a hurry. Just be aware that Service Bureaus charge a pretty penny for
this work (my parts, for example, would've cost a minimum of $75 PER PART to
RP). So technically you are asking for a significant favor. The trick is to find
a model shop supervisor who's also an AFOL. Then you're IN! ;^)

Darrell