 CAD / 11839
Re: question about people who are doing rapid prototyping of parts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:59:20 GMT

Here’s some follow-up. I sent the xpress3d.com quote info to the Rapid Prototyping discussion group I belong to (all RP Educators who take on jobs to help fund their programs). I got these responses so far:

*****

I calculate the volume of materials, including support (FDM) and price accordingly. One small costs $, one big costs $$$$ and many small costs $$$$.

*****

I prefer all parts to be separate .stl files, so I can arrange them as I wish, to make an efficient build. The way I quote is based on the estimated machine time to make the parts. I put only the parts for the client into the build and have the machine estimate the time to build. Then I apply a $/hour rate to this time. I don’t know how this commercial site’s algorithm works, so I can’t comment on it.

*****

If you know the build envelope, its always better to arrange them individually so they best fit the parameters with maximum part output. That’s how we do it. But if you are trying to get a deal on these guys, I would go ahead and send it organized as close as possible, with your small “channels”.

When we charge for parts, we do so by materials, not number of parts.

*****

Darrell