 CAD / 11802
Re: on Collision, stop Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:45:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:

What I was saying is that there's no easy way to do it purely based on the
geometry.

Exterior geometry may be a bit fuzzy when you start rotating it to different
angles, but center geometry is just a matter of straight lines or mathematical
points.  They either match or they don't.  There is no "sorta match".  Any
accurate system you could come up with for matching the exterior geometry
together would probably just be a more complicated version of using center
geometry.

To add my 2 cents worth, I've tried a few experements within MBC for making
parts clickable where I defined "male" and "female" connection points within the
brick (i.e. STUD = male). Ignoring the sheer number of ways even a brick as
simple as the ubiquious 2x4 can be connected the real barrier I ran into was
with geometry.

If the bricks are aligned then making them click is reasonably easy, but if the
one of the bricks needs to be rotated (through upto 3 axis) to make them align
and click the problem then seems to become very non-trivial.

If anybody has any ideas to solve geometrical alignment, I'd love to know so I
can continue my experiments.

Andrew...