 CAD / 11809
Re: on Collision, stop Movement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:36:08 GMT

Andrew Allan wrote:

If the bricks are aligned then making them click is reasonably easy,
but if the one of the bricks needs to be rotated (through upto 3
axis) to make them align and click the problem then seems to become
very non-trivial.

If anybody has any ideas to solve geometrical alignment, I'd love to
know so I can continue my experiments.

Assuming you already know *which* male (M) should connect to which female
(F), and that M is to be rotated (this might in fact be the difficult part
to figure out!):

Use the F <connection direction> as the primary axis for a coordinate system
with <connection point> as origin.

Now translate M until it's origin is at F<origin>.

Rotate M to get M<connection direction> equal to F<connection direction> (or
maybe the inverse of it?), this can always be done by two 2D rotations in
different planes of the F coordinate system.

When <connection direction> isn't locked (ball joint), all you can do is to
lock the connection points together, and let the user tilt the M part
manually.

Don't ask me about the actual maths, I always have to look it up when I need
it, even though I work with 3D Coordinate Measuring Machine software daily
(In the seventies, the company I work for did some measurements for LEGO on
the molds for maxifig cowboy hats! I don't think they ever bought a machine
from us, though).

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://w1.161.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm