 CAD / MLCad / 1950
Re: Part Authoring with MLCAD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 05:11:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Edwin Pilobello wrote:

That's why I want to figure out how to use MLCAD as much as possible for parts
authoring.  The easier it is for me, the easier it ought to be for the kids I
teach.

Hi,

I'll echo Orion's question: where do you teach? What level/subject(s) do you
teach? I'm interested how and why you've chosen to insert LDraw parts authoring
into your curriculum.. Was it difficult to convince your superiors?

I teach CAD at a Community College, and let me tell you it has been a struggle
to incorporate LEGO at all, even though I consider the work a great success.

Have you considered teaching a commercial CAD program (Rhino, Maya, GMax,
AutoCAD, etc.) as a way to author parts? Depending on what you're trying to
teach, it's MUCH easier (OK, so I MAY have a biased opinion there, LOL).

It's even possible to see the parts made this way in MLCAD by using 3DWin to
translate them to DAT. The problem is they are too messy for official inclusion
in the LDraw library - unless some friendly parts author cleans them up. But
since my students will never use MLCAD they couldn't care less. And you can bet
the first day I attempt to explain Matrices will be the last day my class meets
- as every Interior Designer and Architect I have will immediately drop!

Of course if you're teaching that kind of math/CS stuff, well....better you than
me!  :)

Darrell