 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5385
Re: wannabe parts author needs mentor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:44:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Edwin Pilobello wrote:

There isn’t really a formal system of support but... All the parts authors are willing to help, if you ask. If you prefer not to discuss it here (and I prefer that you do so that other beginners can browse through you questions) then you can email me or one of the other regulars and we’ll answer you questions or hand you off to someone who can. Please don’t feel that your questions are too “stupid” to ask here on LUGNET.

-Orion

I think documenting my learning process “live” on this forum would be a great idea. I’ll get myself organized and start posting my “part author” questions.

Thanks!

Great idea, but I think lugnet.cad.dat.parts would be a better choice for such questions. But I’d suggest that you start with some simple parts while you learn the basics. Personally I started with the duplo piece x250.

While you’re still green and impressionable, I’ll just throw in some good basic rules worth following (especially when using MLCAD):

Rule #1: Build parts just like you would build creations; like an onion with the innermost parts first, so no things hide later ones: This makes it a whole lot easier to browse through the part looking for errors and missing (or duplicated) things (especially for the reviewers that don’t know the part very well).

Rule #2: Instead of putting all the edges in one chunk at the beginning of the file, let them follow their corresponding surfaces, that’s much less confusing than having a full framwork from the start, and you get a much better impression of what the surfaces actually look like (they can get rather fuzzy witout framing). The edges naturally have to be inserted just before the surfaces so they’re already there when you reach the surface.

-NB