 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5387
5386  |  5388
Subject:
Cooking recipe for parts: Ingrediens and preparations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:25:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Edwin Pilobello wrote:
As suggested by Neils, I'm moving my inquiries on the basics of parts authoring
to this forum.

In CAD, I asked how to add a new MLCAD folder to store primitives, sized-up
primitives and parts-of-other-parts.  The reply was simple enough.  It did have
a caveat that implied there were better ways to access the primitives.

Good idea; that would be really nice, but it doesn't seem to be possible? Or
does anybody have a suggestion? As it is now, I use the
<http://www.ldraw.org/library/tracker/ref/primref/ LDraw Primitives Reference>,
which seems pretty well updated. {Note:} There's a lot of new and better
primitives in the PT, which won't be in neither the Primitive reference or in
your computer, as they aren't certified yet.

So, how do I setup MLCAD to work with primitives, sized-up primitives and
parts-of-other-parts (sub-parts)?

MLCad is ready for parts authoring as it is. To add a primitive or subpart (1),
line (2), triangle (3), or quad (4), you just rightclick somewhere in the
"project part list" or "drawing and viewing area" and select the desired type.
Primitives and submodels are considered parts, and you need to browse the
relevant folders after it. (p/, p/48/ or /s). {Note:} Unless you add the object
at the top of the file it'll get the coordinate and scaling of the previous
object on the list.

Type 2-4 is pretty straigtforward to alter, either by changing the coordinates
or dragging the corners, to change a type 1, you have to use the "enter position
and rotation value"-button where you can either change the coordinates (use
position values), rotation (use rotation vector value), or scale (use rotation
matrix values). {Note:} This is the most difficult part, and needs the most
experimentation. The second options messes up the third one, so be sure to start
with that one. If you have to turn the part in more that one direction (like
both rotating and tilting) you can clear the 2nd option by selecting more parts
(you can make a duplicate that can be deleted afterwards).

Also, do you folks have any tips on
alignment and a checklist for quality control?

If you arange the file by the "onion"-approach I suggested in the other post,
you can cach most errors (errors, missing, and duplicated parts) by browsing
throug the file activating MLCad's "draw to selection only"-button next to the
grid-buttons. {Note:} The coordinates of the curser is displayed in the lower
left corner of the screen, so you can check the coordinates of most things
(select the fine grid). LDDP (automatic: winding and some other errors), L3Lab
(automatic/visual: BFC-errors in direction of triangles and quads), L3PAO and
POV-ray rendering (visual). But the best errorfinder is experience and order.
(<http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=5385 Onion approach>)

-NB

PS: Unlike most others, I believe that it _is_ possible to write a cooking book
recipe on how to make parts. Here's the first part:

Ingredients (the programs I use):
MLCad & LDDP for assembling the part.
Prim_Gen (Primitive generator) by Paul Easter for making new primitives.
MLCad, LDDP, L3Lab, L3PAO and POV-Ray for errorchecking.

[Preparations:]

1st step: Be really, really sure that no one else has made the part already
(very stupid error to make!),
1a: look at part, does it have a number?
If yes: Search /Parts for it on your computer and in the PT.
If no: Browse through the entire parts catalouge via MLCad's Part preview. To
search for it there: You can't be sure what somebody might have called it. If
you don't find it there, browse through the PT looking at all the parts with
names or keywords that would resemble the one you're thinking of.

2nd step: It isn't there! Make a folder for the file you're about to make; here
you add a copy of all the files, subfiles and primitives you make for the file
and have to upload later.

3rd step: Now it's time for some stealing!
Look in both MLCad and PT for parts with similar elements you can steal for your
file. Copy these files to the folder. {Note:} The files in the PT usually
contain the newest primitives, but beware of "bad" files: you don't want to copy
other's errors.

4th step: If there's already a very similar part, you could use as a base for
your part, open it in MLCad and peal off all the irrelevant objects.

5th step: Organize the part like an onion with steps, add 3-4 steps in a row
where something is missing (or where you’re currently working): That makes it a
lot easier to manage the file in MLCad, The steps makes it very quickly to
select chunks of (nearby) objects and move them, and the multiple steps makes it
possible to find the right place to drop them when scrolling. (It also makes it
possible to run the file through via MLCad’s “View Mode”).

6th step: Salvaging sections of other parts: Use MLCad to paint all relevant
objects so you can find them and copy-past them to your file via LDDP.

[Making the part:]
This is the most difficult section, that I don't have time to work on now, so
ask if you have any concrete problems. Later, I'll add something about
errorchecking and preparing the file for upload.
This section could get really, really long, ask if there's any problems. I'll
try to put something together when I have the time. In the meantime others are
very welcome add something...