 CAD / Development / 9836
Re: Blender LDraw support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:49:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Yann Vernier wrote:
I've worked a bit more on my Blender LDraw import script.

Recent additions:
* Requires Blender 2.34 for some convenient functions.
* Creates materials for each LDraw colour used, but does not fill in
   colours.
* ldrawdir is now high in the script and in once place, to be easier
   to change. Should add code to locate it.
* Double vertex removal is now done at flattening stage; the script
   might consume notably more memory, but runs much faster.
* MPD files can be loaded directly.
* Curved faces are detected by their connection to 5 lines; AutoSmooth
   is turned on for them, but the threshold may need tuning that can't
   easily be done automatically.

Part detection is currently done by descriptions; any DAT referring
directly to primitives or subparts is considered a part. The specific file
loaded at first is never flattened.

Thanks alot for this work.  It's very much the combination of tools that I am
looking forward to working with.

We mentioned LCad/Blender ties quite a bit at Brickfest this weekend.

Script location:
  http://donkey.dyndns.org/~yann/datimport.py
Blender:
  http://www.blender3d.org/