 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1355
  A serious clone question

Hi All: Is it appropriate to share clone-brand creations here, or at least to announce them, if follow-ups are directed to OT.Clones? I checked the charter for MOC group, and there's no specific prohibition against clone-based or clone-inclusive (...) (21 years ago, 14-Aug-03, to lugnet.announce.moc)

  Re: A serious clone question

I'd say no. This is a site dedicated to LEGO products (IMO), so the promotion of MOC done with clones wouldn't respect that fact. Also, and maybe more importantly, I, like many others, have no interest whatsoever in MOC made with clone parts. A (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Terry Prosper wrote: **snip of my clones-ok-in-the-MOC-group question*** (...) Makes sense. That's why I thought a feeler question was a better way to start than with a dozen "Hey Look At My Clones" postings. (...) (...) (21 years ago, 15-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

Purists are idiots. I can't think of another situation in which someone would have this kind of insane brand loyalty when working with a particular medium. "Get that Grumbacher oil paint out of my studio, it's Winsor & Newton or nothing for me!!!" (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Well, I'd have to disagree and say "probably". My main focus is technic, and several great MOCs have been announced and discussed in the technic group which use modified LEGO, or totally user-created parts (the obvious example is John Barnes' (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I resemble that remark!!! But in all seriousness Richard, labelling purists idiots I find very arrogant and just a little offensive - it is simply a choice some people make, maybe for brand loyalty, maybe for a greater challenge - whatever the (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Gee...then how about: Lego purists insisting on 100% lego purity from others are idiots. ??? Are you trying to make "my list," Crawford? :) -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) LOL! Well maybe unreasonable expectations, but I still don't think it qualifies them as idiots! (...) You have a list? Of what?????? ;) ROSCO (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Hmmm...I can see that I am going to have to make a note of your inquisitive nature also. Tsk, tsk... We see all. -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Who sees all what????? ROSCO (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) (URL) -- Hop-Frog (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) where'd you get that pic? did you make it? creepy, 1984, apocolyptic feel to it. (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  TIA (was Re: A serious clone question)

(...) If you have the misfortune to be a proud U.S. citizen, it is nothing more than your govt. at work against YOU! see: (2 URLs) The government's Information Awareness Office--you know, the Defense agency that's running the Total Information (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  John Poindexter (was Re: TIA (was Re: A serious clone question)

How does the right justify this guy? He's Mr. Secret Government! (URL) Mr. Poindexter was indicted on March 16, 1988 on seven federal felony charges stemming from the Iran-Contra scandal. The counts included participating in a criminal conspiracy (...) (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I'd agree with Terry. <<snip the personal brick xenophobia>> It IS a Lego resource, and the opportunity for us to leverage some of the impressive community systems here into our extended appreciation of the power of the brick is a discretion (...) (21 years ago, 17-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I wouldn't be too concerned, Rosco, if I read this right, they can't see Australia or for that matter much of South East Asia anyway. Its probably a very American thing ;-) Richard Still baldly going... (21 years ago, 17-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.fun, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Interesting. I think Mega Bloks is directly responsible for saving The Lego Company. If not for Mega Bloks successfully taking a portion of the market share and forcing TLC to reevaluate its direction of straight down the toilet a few years (...) (21 years ago, 17-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) And such affirmation is too. I don't think i'm an idiot because I don't appreciate clones, but nontheless, your answer was purely provocative and I won't sink to the level of excusing myself or saying that i'm a purist or not. Purists are (...) (21 years ago, 17-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) You made a typo there. It's spelled "s-e-l-e-c-t-i-v-e". Either that or "d-i-s-c-e-r-n-i-n-g", depending on the exact meaning you were shooting for. (...) Really? Have you ever talked to people who customize cars (there are some who only (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) See: (URL) Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 05:18:47 GM "I was also carving bricks from the first (see my wings attachment at the page noted above)." also: (URL) It's probably mentioned before that time, but those refs will suffice -- not a year, but at (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) But later said (without admitting the difference in meaning): (...) Note the huge difference in phrasing. The first statement is classic intolerance of others and is, in my view, unacceptable. The second is intolerance of intolerance, and is a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

I take exception to the idea that I am merely baiting people in this discussion. I think that such an assertion is false even if you are looking at only my first posting on the subject. That I raised the issue of "brick brand xenophobia," even from (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) You are my hero, Hop-Frog, uniter of the Lugnet community by insulting most of us. As for me, I was only saying I'd rather not see clone elements, but hey, it was YOU who started insulting other people, so I guess it makes you the (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) That's kind of what I had in mind, but I wasn't sure if even that would be beyond the bounds of the MOC announcement group. My recent MOCs have been 100% clone, with arguable overlap among "common" elements, like 1x8 bricks and 2x2 tiles. If I (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

I think it's very easy for those of you insisting on brand exclusionary practices to see yourselves as inoffensive, but you're not. The very act of telling someone like Dave! to stay in his little corner of lugnet and not come out or be seen by (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Ah! That kind of thread is exactly why I stopped going in the OT.D forums a long time ago. People there insult you, then their friends come in and add fuel to the fire, then you try to defend yourself, but they accuse you of adding fuel to the (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I'm only saying that this site is called LEGO-USER GROUP network. Not Bricks user group network. Dave can go post his LEGO MOC like anyother in the announce.MOC forums, but this site is dedicated to LEGO, not clones. And it's not as if I was (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) It doesn't matter what the site is called -- what is it's purpose? To celebrate bricks or brand loyalty? Stop avoiding the issue. Stop assuming you have some kind of superiority in claiming what the site is about. What the site itself claims (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Let me rephrase that: I think that this website is about LEGO. I don't care for other brands. I've owned them, I din't like them. They are cheap, plastic is not as shiney, solid, colorful. Now, that is MY opinion. Let it be. I'm entitled to my (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) BEWARE : CLONE CRAP HERE!!! The poster that pretends to respect others is really just a counterfeit -- his point is that you must respect his view, not that he must respect yours. Yeah, it's just his opinion. Sorry it was worded rather (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) (btw, you removed the smily that was next to Cone crap here, which makes it very dramatic, but doesn't respect the fact that it was intended as a joke, and you must know it since you removed it...I'll quote myself, if you don't mind: "There (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Private Propery, dude. You can not like how it's run, and you can complain all you like, but if you don't like it, leave it. (...) You'd be wrong. from (URL) : I think anything about other non-LEGO® systems would really need a hierarchy name (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, James Brown wrote: <snip> (...) Haha! Great sense of humor dude :-) I really like your style :-D <snip> (...) Thanks James. I'm waaaaaay too lazy to make these research by myself ;-) It's nice to see some people (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Oups, read too fast. The comment i was referring to was from Todd. Well, Kudos to Todd for saying it and James for reporting it :-) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Just a quick note to correct Terry's mis-attribution: I didn't say this, Todd Lehman said it 5 years ago, in the message I was quoting. Terry, it's Todd's style you like. :) James (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Feh! What does this "Todd" person know about LUGNET, anyway? Dave! (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

What I find interesting about that old thread is the importance of basic brick compatibility to most of the users. Given that criteria, why is there a newsgroup for Clickits -- I mean, except for the fact that TLC manufactures it? Maybe the subject (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Rabble-rouser. :) I don't necessarily disagree, but I think that if you're going to re-open that can of worms, it's probably best to try and engage the admins about it, or more of the community at large. Hence the cross-post. James (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I don't think this is a really valid argument in this discussion, because the same people would probably object to clone brands displayed at Brickfest, Brickswest, etc, and probably dislike clone brands on Brickshelf, all of which have "Brick" (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I can't say that I recall anyone at any time every complaining about anything because it was 100% non-Lego on the Pirates board, much less some small percentage. For that matter, no complaints come to mind on the Castle board. Is this just a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Yes, IMHO. Dave asked 'anyone mind if I post clone MOC's to announce.moc, Terry said 'I do' and Richard said 'that's wrong' to Terry. They proceeded to spar, with occaisonal comments from the peanut gallery, like me. Lugnet is mildly biased (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) "Yes" to what question? In that despite whatever Terry may have said, almost no one makes a fuss about non-lego bricks? I understand the sequence of the fuss, which honestly, is neither here nor there to me. (...) I'm saying does a side need (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) No, of course you don't need to take sides. To me, there are 2 separate issues here: 1-Was my answer to the theorical question from David stated in an offensive way towards anyone? 2-Was Hop-Frog's comments abusive? This IS a storm in a glass (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I agree with James here. Richard, I don't read posts in the Clickits or Znap forums. Nor do I read the ones in off-topic.clone. That's why I think this website ought to be about LEGO. If it was about building bricks, I'd have to scan through (...) (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Yes to the question I didn't snip. Sorry if that was unclear. Snipped further for excessive clarity. (21 years ago, 18-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Okay, point taken, but I was searching for "Batlord", "Executioner", and "Batlord Executioner" and I got a whole lot of nothing. You'll have to excuse me if I assumed you would have posted something about it by name. (...) I am not one for (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) When exactly did Larry insult you in this thread? I can only find one reply by him, and I can't see how it was intended to apply to you. (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) He's not being told to stay in his little corner of LUGNET. Everyone here is free to post just about wherever they want, as long as it doesn't violate any charter guidelines. He is being told that clone MOCs probably aren't acceptable outside (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Legally they can't call them "LEGOfest", "LEGOsWest", or "LEGOshelf" because they'd be in clear violation of trademark law (and would undoubtedly get called out on it). LUGNET rides the line by using an acronym that involves the word "LEGO", (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) They actually have a division that's set up just to explore how their product can be used to help in early childhood development, on top of stuff like the LEGO First League (...) Same here. I bought a Matoro set from McD's only to find that (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I disagree. TLC had been losing market share to video games, movies, sports, action figures, and pretty much anything else that a kid could use as a quick source for distraction. MB probably only made the difference between being slightly in (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) If you really care about the answer, you should start out by asking Todd and Suzanne directly, as our opinions don't matter much until/unless they say it's okay. If they do, then it falls to whether they'll be accepted, flamed, or both. My gut (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Uh... Mega Bloks soared in popularity (based on increased shelf space devoted to them) durring the period of crappy LEGO set design a few years ago. Mega Bloks filled the void of mostly brick based sets that LEGO had seemingly abandoned. (...) (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) It wasn't intended to insult ANYONE. Terry, if you took it as insulting you, I'm not sure what to say except sorry. Richard, if you took it as insulting rather than just stating the truth about your "latch on to controversy and use it to cause (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) heh, the same could be said for those that call people idiots ;) (...) I seriously doubt you can. Maybe it will make you feel better, maybe you can feel like Lego stole your idea - but I disagree 100%. I think its safe to say that part spawned (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) You have to ask? Maybe you do not visit the index page that ofen.. it clearly says this: "Global community of LEGO enthusiasts LUGNET™ unites LEGO fans worldwide through discussion groups, web pages, and services. As an independent site by (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

Here are my last thoughts on this subject... In general, I think I've made my points and I don't actually think that anyone has intelligently refuted any of those points. There is a kind of exclusionary, nose in the air, attitude about clones that (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Might be useful to ease back on the spin, there. "Quibbling" suggests pointless bickering about minutiae, but I think my question about the charter was legitimate and perfectly in keeping with honest exchange of information. I could have been (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I haven't previously commented on the original question you raised, Dave! But since you (indirectly) asked, I have no issue with the form of your original question, did not think it was quibbling, and think the answer that you and others (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Maybe not, but I was feeling left out! Dave! (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I like how you minimize the problems of others. And perhaps I am exaggerating these problems -- but let's not pretend there isn't a problem at all. There really is a problem here and if there wasn't people wouldn't be so defensive about it. If (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) Good to see you keep an open mind:0) I can tell the difference between Lego and Clones -any clone- simply from the sound. They sound cheap and they are cheap. In respone to your paint analogy- An artist uses quality products not cheap knock (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) How so? You modified a piece of Lego. You didn't create it. You modified a product already covered by patent. (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, FTX)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I've only been buying MegaBloks since 1993, but most of them are holding up quite nicely, thanks. Admittedly, the translucent elements from that period are not too great and are subject to loss of clutch, but I have thousands of green or brown (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) I'll be looking for your post in 2008. Play well! Mike (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)

  Re: A serious clone question

(...) According to TLC's annual report, the Americas (US+Canada+Mexico+SouthAmerica) only accounts for one-third of TLC sales, whereas Europe accounts for more than 50% - and as MegaBlocks has never been big in Europe (here in Denmark they only sell (...) (21 years ago, 22-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands)