 Administrative / General / 10102
Re: Community Policing is a Good Thing(TM) (Was: Re: Do you think there is a market)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 03:34:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
David Koudys writes:

Community Policing, as far as I can see, and as far as those I talk to can
see, is a few people who seem to read *every* *single* *post* looking for
naughty words, or for something they can get their knickers in a knot
over.

If that's what you think of the people (including myself) who are doing the
policing, you don't know us well enough.

I can't think of a single currently active participant who remotely seems to go
out of his or her way to police newsgroups.  And the only person I can think of
at all who may have had the appearance of policing was just trying to be
helpful.

Also, for the record, I don't read every single post.  I mostly read through
my newsreader where I have set groups I'm subscribed to.  At times I read
through the web interface and read posts and groups I wouldn't normally see.

I was well within my bounds as a member of the LUGNET community to speak up
about this.  Especially when it was posted to lugnet.general, a part of the
server which is not attributed to a specific subcommunity.  Its the
crossroads of LUGNET, the public square.  My guess is its the group with the
most readers (just a guess).

I think it was acceptable for the couple people to back up my view on the
post, after Richard posted defiantly.  If no one followed it up, one would
be left to assume that no one objected to what Richard said.

(Sorry for the inelegant snippage.)  I was one of those who appreciated having
someone speak up.  If no one had done so, I probably would have had to say
something (I too subscribe to .general), and I'm willing to bet the reaction in
the local group would have been that I was overly offended because I am a
female.  In fact, my objection would have been simply that it was entirely
inappropriate for Lugnet rather than that it was offensive to me in particular.

Further, having a thicker skin--you don't need a sense of humour (some say
'Get a sense of humour about it, would ya?'  That doesn't work either),
just a thicker skin--to be able to not immediately post right when you are
offended.  It's like some people are trolling to see where they can get
their soap box out and shout, 'Looky here!! This is offensive and is
corrupting LUGNET' so now everyone else within earshot has to stop and
look

You really ought to take Kevin W.'s advice and do some private emailing if you
feel stifled by the rules or if it bothers you to have outsiders drop into a
thread now and then.

Maggie C.